Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th June 2010, 20:58
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Date, Place and Circumstances of force-landing of He111 9K+JT of 9./KG51 1939-40

Hello,

I'm trying to determine the subtype, date, place, circumstances and crew of this He111 force landed sometime in the 1939-40 period. Swastica position suggests after the Polish Campaign, but fuselage cross-style suggests before the Western Campaign of 1940. This looks like a landing field, and the plane looks like it could have been badly shot up in combat.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_2544wt_938

Anybody got a fix on this one?

Regards,

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 6th June 2010 at 20:58. Reason: spellig
Old 6th June 2010, 22:07

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: Date, Place and Circumstances of force-landing of He111 9K+JT of 9./KG51 1939-40

Hi, Larry...

This is an He111H. There is no large intake on left side of the engine cowling, which would make it a 'P' subtype, so I'd suggest an H-1 or H-2. However, I think the fuselage cross suggests Polish campaign, but the swastika is probably on the fin, and not overlapping the fin/rudder hinge line, otherwise we would probably be able to see a corner of it on the rudder. This would perhaps suggest post-Polish campaign.

Doug Stankey and Larry de Zeng's Bomber Units of the Luftwaffe 1933-1945 Vol1 (Midland Publishing) states that III.Gruppe/KG51 did not take part in the Polish campaign, being held in reserve in Germany and training for operations between October 1939 and April 1940 and only undertaking leaflet raids from time to time over France.

As you infer, I think it's likely that this machine was photographed between the Polish and Western campaigns, at a time when markings were generally in a period of transition.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by obdl3945; 6th June 2010 at 22:20. Reason: Spelling & info