Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th October 2019, 11:40

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road
Searching for claim report of Capt. Eric Doorly

Hi all,

At Oct. 17th 1944 Capt. Doorly, 406th FS shot down 2 Me 109.
Is someone in the possession of the claim report?
I do have a translation into German but would like to understand it based on original text.
Thanks a lot in advance
Rolf
Old 26th October 2019, 13:29

KM1957 is on a distinguished road
Re: Searching for claim report of Capt. Eric Doorly

I was leading the 406th Squadron on a dive bombing mission on a railroad bridge. I had pulled up off my target and the last flight had just finished bombing when the cover flight reported bogies coming in from the east at 15,000 feet. There was some confusion about their identity. Leader of bogies, reported by cover flight, as being a P-47, when bogies arrived overhead they were thought to be 20 plus ME-109’s with black crosses. At this time bandits jettisoned their gas tanks and broke down on me. I turned into them and made head on passes at two ME-109’s observing strikes on the second 109. I then began climbing in a tight circle and came up behind and underneath the ME-109’s flying in a gentle turn. I then observed a third ME 109 flying parallel and beside me 50 yards to my right. I cut throttle and got behind him, he steepened his turn and started to climb as I fired a 4 second burst at about 500 yards. An explosion in his engine caused large quantities of glycol to stream from his engine. The ship fell off into a spiral dive and the pilot was seen to bail out. I did not see the chute open. I continued to climb and turned into two more 109’s coming in from above and behind. I fired and observed strikes on the first ship. Soon after I met two 109’s, circling about 1000 feet above me. I turned in behind them climbing with full throttle closing to about 600 yards. I then fired at the rear ship who split-S’d and dove for the deck. I followed him to about 5000 feet at which point I was indicating 475. The 109 was past the vertical as I pulled out and as I looked back I saw him hit the ground. I was then alone, expended all ammo of starboard guns, so I returned to base. I claim two ME 109’s destroyed and two ME 109’s damaged.

Kent
Old 26th October 2019, 18:06

Kent,
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.
Appreciate it.
Rolf
Old 30th October 2019, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1957 View Post
I was leading the 406th Squadron on a dive bombing mission on a railroad bridge. I had pulled up off my target and the last flight had just finished bombing when the cover flight reported bogies coming in from the east at 15,000 feet. There was some confusion about their identity. Leader of bogies, reported by cover flight, as being a P-47, when bogies arrived overhead they were thought to be 20 plus ME-109’s with black crosses. At this time bandits jettisoned their gas tanks and broke down on me. I turned into them and made head on passes at two ME-109’s observing strikes on the second 109. I then began climbing in a tight circle and came up behind and underneath the ME-109’s flying in a gentle turn. I then observed a third ME 109 flying parallel and beside me 50 yards to my right. I cut throttle and got behind him, he steepened his turn and started to climb as I fired a 4 second burst at about 500 yards. An explosion in his engine caused large quantities of glycol to stream from his engine. The ship fell off into a spiral dive and the pilot was seen to bail out. I did not see the chute open. I continued to climb and turned into two more 109’s coming in from above and behind. I fired and observed strikes on the first ship. Soon after I met two 109’s, circling about 1000 feet above me. I turned in behind them climbing with full throttle closing to about 600 yards. I then fired at the rear ship who split-S’d and dove for the deck. I followed him to about 5000 feet at which point I was indicating 475. The 109 was past the vertical as I pulled out and as I looked back I saw him hit the ground. I was then alone, expended all ammo of starboard guns, so I returned to base. I claim two ME 109’s destroyed and two ME 109’s damaged.

Kent
Any idea what "split S'd" means??
Thanks a lot
Rolf
Old 30th October 2019, 12:20
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road

A "Split S" is a type of diving turn with a half roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_S
Old 30th October 2019, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSwank View Post
A "Split S" is a type of diving turn with a half roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_S
Thank you 😊