Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th May 2015, 12:09

Tomas Prusa is on a distinguished road
Re: Captured Fw190 photo

To Broncazonk - check J.Crandall Dora vol.1 p.262, there is photo of black 3 with "silver circle" around flare hole - in fact, it is removed tape which cover this hole. Missing fuel fill cap - on same photo on p.262 is in open position nad you can see those as you wrote "highlighted with a white ring" in fact this is place which is not covered with colour. This features can not be taken as identifications points. It is better to compare camouflage points like mottling... which around rear part of the fuselage are the same, overpainted area aroun fuselage number is same as well, also camouflage of the root leading edge is same, no doubt it is same machine.
To Denoted C - this is most probably an imperfection on the photo(there is more light spots even on the ground...) and it is not visible on another photos of black 3.
To photo-war - is is posible to upload croped part(see enclosed croped image below) of the photo without your watermark? There should be hole - damage from shooting from some handgun.
Old 9th May 2015, 13:36

photo-war is on a distinguished road

Hello Tomas!

Here is a part you requested.

Best regards,
Alexander

Old 9th May 2015, 14:14
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Hello David, not sure why you list the Werknummer as 601095.....we have that Ebay picture of December 2014 which in my opinion shows 601090 which was also confirmed by the seller. Does anybody know who acquired that original picture back in December? Perhaps we can get a better scan.

Indeed the 600422 was basically an estimated guess by some years ago as the other images were not available yet.

About the repainting of schwarze 3. We have seen this feature on several a/c of I./JG 6 (many A-8's), but not so much on II./JG 6. The reasoning behind the repainting within I./JG 6 is pretty much clear to me, but schwarze 3 is unclear. Note that the II. Gruppe seems not repainted which leads me to the conclusion that this a/c either came from another unit or from I./JG 6 (which seems not logical).

Alexander, if your are willing to provide me with an high resolution scan of your picture from my planned JG 6 Unit History, then I would be most gratefull.

Cheers,

John
Old 9th May 2015, 14:18

Tomas Prusa is on a distinguished road

To photo-war - thank you. Now I see I am dumb, it is not hole from shooting but crank case breather outlet.
Old 9th May 2015, 22:26

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Tomas, you must be correct. Another point of confirmation is what looks to be black smudges and vandalizing bullet holes in the center of the Balkenkreuz on the right rear fuselage that appear in all of the photos.

Does anyone know if American service personnel tried to repair, or scavenged parts from this aircraft prior to the arrival of the Russian army? I'm trying to understand why the ETC 501 and then both fuel tank covers were removed. It seems like a very random thing to do.

All my Best!

Robert
Old 12th May 2015, 17:20

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Manrho View Post

About the repainting of schwarze 3. We have seen this feature on several a/c of I./JG 6 (many A-8's), but not so much on II./JG 6. The reasoning behind the repainting within I./JG 6 is pretty much clear to me, but schwarze 3 is unclear. Note that the II. Gruppe seems not repainted which leads me to the conclusion that this a/c either came from another unit or from I./JG 6 (which seems not logical)
.. I'm fairly certain that the inscription on the rear of the vet's original print (at least the one in Jim Crow's collection) says 'blue 3' too !
Old 12th May 2015, 20:24

Jerry Crandall

Hello all,
This is indeed "Black 3" W.Nr. 601090. Note the yellow under cowling typical of Fieseler built Dora 9s.
Cheers, Jerry
Old 13th May 2015, 04:53

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Crandall View Post
Hello all, This is indeed "Black 3" W.Nr. 601090. Note the yellow under cowling typical of Fieseler built Dora 9s. Cheers, Jerry
I bought Vol. 1 of your D9 book because of this....

Bronc
Old 13th May 2015, 06:13

Jerry Crandall
Smile Re: Captured Fw190 photo

Thank you very much, I hope you like it.
Cheers, Jerry
Old 21st March 2017, 19:52

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I haven't seen the complete photo but I think you believe that one of the undeveloped spots is creating that "hole" - am I correct Ferdinando? As a person who "plays" with various film formats from 35mm to 8x10" I can tell you that I have such cases on my negatives too from time to time (especially when I am lazy) but those would be much sharper than the one on the last photo detail (check the one behind the soldier's head & you will understand what I mean) which does have same sharpness level to other details on the fuselage in the last photo & in perspective is perfectly matching the other markings. So I believe it was something definitely applied to the fuselage. I doubt it's a bullet hole since it's way too perfect in shape.
Best,
Miloš