Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th April 2023, 04:28

INM@RLM will become famous soon enoughINM@RLM will become famous soon enough
RR Merlin: Shock-loading damage in service use

I'd be most grateful for a small help in locating the title of this book.

Memory is fallible but this is what I think I now recall.

During the 1990s I began reading a book written by an RAF Erk who served on a fighter squadron. (I think beginning in the BoB.) It included some interesting remarks based on personal experience as an engine fitter of the high incidence of shock-loading damage to Merlins in fighters. I do not recall this aspect ever being even mentioned in any of the usual works about the Merlin engine.
My copy of that book was probably lost in a house-move but I would dearly like to now refresh my memory and finish reading it.

It was not Bertram Hughes: 'An Erk Goes to War' (who did serve with No 145 Squadron flying Spitfires, however, he was not posted to this squadron until Jan-41). Plus I have just finished reading this book as a double-check and Hughes was an airframe rigger not an engine fitter.

Many thanks to any kind soul that can clear away my cobwebs.

Last edited by INM@RLM; 17th April 2023 at 04:59. Reason: Missed a point.