Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th May 2020, 18:18

sergey is on a distinguished road
830th and 828 th Sqn. Malta 1941 - 42

Hi,
Found such information:
Overnight 9 November 1941 seven Swordfish from 830 Squadron Fleet Air Arm at Hal Far were despatched to attack a convoy consisting of two merchant vessels west of Pantelleria. Three aircraft returned to base owing to engine trouble; the remaining four failed to return to base.
https://maltagc70.wordpress.com/cate...november-1941/
Help me find out the details and causes of this tragedy.
Old 17th May 2020, 14:31

Lorenzo is on a distinguished road
Re: 830th and 828 th Sqn. Malta 1941 - 42

Good Afternoon.

Sorry for my bad english.

According to "Malta: The Hurricane Years 1940-41" from C. Shores-B.Cull-N.Malizia, the event occured in the night between 11/12 November. The four Swordfish were not able to find any sign of the convoy. The book says:
Unable to find any sign of the convoy nor to make contact with the Wellington, the Swordfish continued searching until a change of wind direction made it impossible for them to reach Malta, and with fuel gauge registering the last few gallons when just off the northern coast of sicily. LT. Cdr. Hunt ordered alla aircraft to ditch in vicinity of Palermo; Lt. Osborn and Sub Lts. Taylor and Campbell achieved safe ditchins, they and their crews padding ashore and all seven men were taken prisioner. Something went wrong with the ditching procedures with Lt. A.F. Wigram's aircraft, he and his TAG, L/A K.D. Griffiths, losing their lives.
In the "Air Britain -Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939-45" i found the follows informations about the aircrafts:

- V4295: Osborn/Hunt/Park Pow.
- K8405: Taylor/Robinson Pow.
- K5979: Wigam/Griffiths Killed.

I hope this may be useful.

Lorenzo
Old 17th May 2020, 20:53

Thumbs up Re: 830th and 828 th Sqn. Malta 1941 - 42

Many thanks! This is very useful information!
Old 22nd May 2020, 20:18

Re: 830th and 828 th Sqn. Malta 1941 - 42

Hi,
Colleagues.
I am looking for information on the actions against the enemy ships of the FAA torpedo bombers from Malta in 1942. Please help me find out how the numbers of the 830th and 828th squadrons changed during this year. At the beginning of the year there were few of them, there were no reinforcements, but at the end of the year their planes still attacked the enemy at sea!
I would be grateful for any information.