Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 10th May 2022, 14:47
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: 16 June 1944

I also placed the order on 12 April, but receive no book yet. It must be on the way, I am not worried.
Old 11th May 2022, 00:51

GoranA is on a distinguished road

I have received the book today and I just manage to browse it. It is my first experience with Lulu (or any other self-published book) and it looks like rather solid effort, both from printing and editing point of view-Maybe a few (nitpicking) remarks - there is a lot of interesting and rare photos, but some of them are to small. Also, the font used on BG diagrams (p. 86/87) is also a bit small sor my likig, (reminder that I may be needing the glasses :-) ).

Map on the page 40 is only for general orientation, but the geography buff in me has to point it out as a...interesting combination of prewar, interwar and today borders (Bosnia) ;-)

I have also ordered the "Gardening by Moonlight" and I've notice some differences between the covers of both books. The front covers have the same design (that looks very nice), but the spines are different. Not only are the fonts different, but also the text orientation - on "16 June 1944" text is written from bottom up ("German style"), while on the "Gardening..." is from top down ("English style"). One other thing (and this may be printer's fault), text and graphic on the back cover of "16 June 1944" are significantly smaller than those on "Gardening...".

But since it is very unlikely that any books about this topic in so much detail will ever be published in English and considering that this is a one man effort, these are minor drawbacks compared to importance of these books.

Again, great job and thank you

Goran

@ Dénes
I have ordered the book on 18 April and was notified on 25 April that it was shipped. It arrived today to my home address (in Slovenia probably on Thursday or Wednesday last week)
Old 18th May 2022, 10:29
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

I received the book yesterday. It's the story of a single combat day, nicely put together.
What I would have liked to see is better quality maps, simple black/white ones, so I can follow the reference points. Also, I think the naming of the cities/state boundaries should follow the ones that were valid at that point, and the current ones put in brackets. There are a few minor inaccuracies I spotted, but overall, the book gave me a good impression, so I congratulate the author for his extensive effort.
Old 27th May 2022, 09:45

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Thank you for (mostly) kind words Hopefully the book finds more readers among air war history enthusiasts.

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 1st June 2022, 17:34

SteveR is on a distinguished road

Received my copy back in April and finally had time to finish reading it.

I'm quite impressed, particularly by how you've told the story through so many different points of view!

Here's to hoping you'll do more in a similar vein (and yes, I've had An Ordinary Day for years).
Old 1st June 2022, 17:44

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Thanks Steve.
I will try to put on paper more stories already available to me from the research. There are few ideas in my head

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 1st June 2022, 17:55

SteveR is on a distinguished road

That's excellent news!