Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 19th February 2018, 19:20
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
D-Day British Mustang Wreck

A picture of what looks to be a Mustang, with a white "P" visible. The D-Day stripes are also visible.

Any ideas as to the unit?

Last edited by kaki3152; 21st November 2018 at 01:21.
Old 19th February 2018, 19:25
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: D-Day British Mustang Wreck

I don't have an answer but that big structure on the horizon looks interesting and could help locate the incident if anyone knows what it is. And what's with all the fence posts — barbed wire?
Old 19th February 2018, 20:24

zorglub is on a distinguished road

Not D-Day stripe but sky band on rear fuselage . This Mustang was probably lost in 1942-43 .
Old 19th February 2018, 21:16
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

...and greatcoats would indicate not June 1944?
Old 19th February 2018, 21:18
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, I guess you're correct. The darker camouflage in front of the white seemed like a band to me. This would make it a Mustang I/II which falls in line with the single letter code.
If you blow up the picture and look under the tailplane, you can see what looks like part of the serial. I can see a "4".
Old 19th February 2018, 22:59
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Old 20th February 2018, 13:26

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I think the most important evidence is the round shape to the right of the head of the German in the foreground. It can be seen that this is the front end of a large cylinder fixed inside the top of the fuselage. To me that is the variometer which was part of the Type 19 HF radio installation ie before VHF became more standard on Mustangs. I would say likely end 42 to spring 43.

I agree with Nick Beale that the building(s) seem significant there also seems to be dedicated railway access and anti-parachutist/glider protection. The low buildings in the foreground look to me to be original French but the tower in the middle (behind the buildings?) looks German – perhaps an Atlantic wall coast watching structure?

For me the humps and bumps on the skyline are very reminiscent of the Pas de Calais area especially around Boulogne.

Steve
Old 20th February 2018, 19:54

Horst Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

...I agree with Nick Beale that the building(s) seem significant there also seems to be dedicated railway access and anti-parachutist/glider protection. The low buildings in the foreground look to me to be original French but the tower in the middle (behind the buildings?) looks German – perhaps an Atlantic wall coast watching structure?.....
This doesn't look like a railway access. The track construction looks like a transferral "Feldbahn"-system for the transportation of construction material. On my opinion, the scene in the background is a construction site for a huge Atlantikwall structure. Left ofthe structure, you can see some little hills with the earth excavation of the structure ?.

Horst Weber