Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd December 2009, 08:56

pstrany
Fi 156 "U"? ASW Version of the Storch?

Hi;

I'm doing some research on the Fieseler Fi 156U, a version of the Storch that was equipped with bomb racks allegedly for anti-submarine warfare. Seems that one aircraft (Fi 156C-2, callsign CQ+QS) was converted to this purpose, but other than a few pictures in the "In Action" and Wydawnictwo books on this aircraft, there is very little other information that I have been able to find.

Especially confusing are the photos in the Wydawnictwo book (Fi 156: volume 2 of 2) as the top two photos seem to be of a rack or antenna of some sort attached to the landing gear support? The other photos of the 156U don't show enough of this aircraft to determine if this is indeed mounted on this particular aircraft, or just mistakenly included with the "U" pictures.

Anyone have any info on this variant, or can direct me to more photos of this aircraft? I'd greatly appreciate any help or direction......

Paul
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:54

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough
Re: Fi 156 "U"? ASW Version of the Storch?

The only Fi 156 (U) in frontline service I have noted were three aircraft serving with Küstenfliegerstaffel 1./706 (U) from October 1940.
They were Fi 156C-2 (U) W.Nr. 4445 (CQ+QL), 4458 (CQ+QY) and 4459 (CQ+QZ). The were based in Aalborg Denmark for anti-submarine patrols of the Danish straits.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:56

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough

I managed to dig out some more info on these rare planes. The 1./706 (U) received the first two aircraft from E-Stelle Rechlin on 26. September 1940. The third and final aircraft came from F.d.Luft at Jever on 24. October the same year. The bomber training of all 16 pilots of both 1./706 (U) and 3./Bordfl.Erg.Staffel, was undertaken by Ing. Ballerstedt from Rechlin. Instruction was given in take-off and landings as well as very slow flight with and without the use of flaps at about 90 km.h. Normal handling of the aircraft caused no problems for thge pilots, and after a few flights all of them were in full command of the Fi 156C-2 (U).
The bombing training was also led by Ing. Ballerstedt. The dept charges were dropped against a floating target with the shape of a submarine with a length of 20 meters and a with of 7 meters. Each aircraft was "armed" with three 50 kg concrete dummy dept charges and dropped from about 200 m level either by diving from 450-500 meters or in level flight at about 90 km.h. Most successes were obtained by diving towards the target. The bombing practice caused no problems at all.

The three aircraft were equipped with the Fu.G. 17, an ultra short wave radio with a frequency between 42,15 and 47,75 Megahz. Each aircraft was also armed with a defensive MG 15 machine gun in flexible mount and operated from the rear seat. The engines were Argus As 10M-1.

After two operations flown on 16. and 23. November, the Staffelkapitän of 1./706 (U), v. Blessingh, issued a report to Fliegerführer Ost. The report was not particularly favourable. During these two operations flights were made in altiotudes from 10 to 1000 meters and all areas as instructed were controlled. No mines or other objects were observed. Although the Fi 156 was a good observation platform, the conditions had to be absolutely calm sea, clear skies and sunshine from the correct angle. As weather conditions around Denmark only rarely was like this, the use of the Fi 156C-2 (U) was very limited. The planes initially operated from a small grass strip near Aalborg-See seaplane station, but they moved to Aalborg-Ost on the 20. November 1940 the ease maintenance of the planes. V. Blessingh concluded that in spite of the operational problems, the trials with these aircraft would continue. All three planes were on strength with 1.706 (U) as late as November 1941.
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:15

Mikael Olrog is an unknown quantity at this point

The things attached to the langindgear supports are zielstriche, sighting aids in other words. And it is correct that the U was equipped with bomracks and trials were made with French "wasserbombs of 130 kg (100 kg explosives) that had been captured.

Best regards
/Mikael
Old 30th January 2010, 00:04

oscarstorch is on a distinguished road

The canister under the fuse with a hole seems to be a smoke generator. I believe I own an original manual for the bomb equiped Storche.

Regards,
Oscar
Old 30th January 2010, 09:55
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

Was the use of the Fi 156 a desparate messure due to the shortage of ASW aircraft in the same way that the RAF used Tiger Moths for a similar role?
Old 30th January 2010, 11:11

Oscar,
It is a French "wasserbomb of 130 kg (100 kg explosives) as mentioned above. The caption to that exact photo in the German handbook for the Fi 156 U says so. So it is not a smoke generator...
/Mikael
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:48
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

During the stay with 1/706 in Aalborg-See, the 3 Fi 156 U was issued with flotation devices mounted over the front weels.
Fi 156 could only carry the beforementioned french waterbomb, called WBF by the Luftwaffe, and only one at a time, according to:
"Richtlinien für die Verwendung von Wasserbombem Mai 1941".
They were not transferred to Aalborg-Ost, but went there to be maintained. They still did operate from Aalborg-See.
In 1941 they were used to control minefields in Skagerrak, without much succes due to weather. And they were allways in company with a He 115.

Junker
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:03

gmorrow is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

I am doing some research also for a couple of Fi 156 variants and have some questions.

Was the Fi 156U sighting device (as described in Mikael's post) on the landing gear supports on both sides of the aircraft? I only have a photo of the right side showing the sighting device, but assume there probably was one on the left also (as shown above in Paul's post).

I have also found another Fi 156 variant, the Fi 156P. The description suggest it could carry three SC50 bombs or smoke canisters and had side firing machine guns. I have no pictures of the machine gun placement of this variant or if it actually did have side firing weapons as described in one of the web sites I found. If it did, where would the placement/location of the side firing weapons be for the Fi 156P?

I think it also had the Revi C/12/D dive bombing sight. How did the recticle of the dive bomb sight appear? And was the dive bomb sight also used with the Fi 156U to drop a depth charge and/or was the landing gear supports sighting device used?

Thanks Much,
Gary
Old 4th February 2011, 11:16

Hello, It appears that the mechanical sighting aid was
only present on one side. There was a Revi sight also on the U aircraft. But the later could also be equipped with ordinary bombs.

/Mikael