Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th March 2007, 22:53

spitfire220 is on a distinguished road
III/JG26 history research

Hello,

First, sorry for my english, but ther is 25 years then I'haven't practised...

With some friends, I'm seaching all informations about the III/jg26 which was established at Chičvres in Belgium between 1942-1944.

Then, I'm searching all informations about the III/jg26 when they were on this base.

I'm looking for photography, papers, letters, or materials, for our museum:
http://www.opt.be/tourisme/descripti...V&ELTOID=47572

The story of the chičvres airbase at:
http://www.usagbenelux.eur.army.mil/...y/history1.htm

We need you and your help could be great thing for our museum. ypour help is very important.

If you have informations for the Italian 43rd Group period between 1940-1942, i'm also interrested.

Most difficult, all informations about the first use of the airport by the germans in 1917 is also researched...

Thank you for your help, thank you for our museum.

Herchuel Philippe
Old 26th March 2007, 23:59

Andy Fletcher
Re: III/JG26 history research

Hi Herchuel,

Suggest you try and get hold of Volume I and II of "The JG 26 War Diary" by Don Caldwell, it's a day by day unit history.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 27th March 2007, 13:47

Thanks for the information. Do you knows if these books are published in french?

I'm also looking for all photo's if someone have that i'll be very glad to have copies...

Thanks a lot.
Old 27th March 2007, 16:22

DrunkEwok is on a distinguished road

Hello Herchuel; I am stationed at Chievres currently. I have spoken with a Daniel Leleu, Same Museum perhaps? Peter Celis has a very good book covering the airfields of Belgium during WWII. Runways to Victory has a good amount of detail concerning axis and allied units stationed at Chievres. Also at a website that directed me to this website
http://www.feldgrau.com/ a member by the name of Lorenz pointed me to the following units being at Chievres at one time or another:

I./KG 6 (14.02.44 - 18.03.44)
II./KG 30 (21.07.44 - 29.07.44)
II./KG 76 (12.07.44)
II./LG 1 (14.06.44 - 16.06.44)

I am willing to help you where I can maybe with some pictures as well. Feel free to contact me if needed. kingsaltine@hotmail.com
Old 27th March 2007, 17:11

Hello DrunkEwok, yes, you're right, it the museum that you have spoken with Daniel Leleu.

In fact, I went to the museum there's three weeks ago, after a message of Daniel on my virtual squad forum where I spoke about the chičvres airbase.
He told me that all helps were well done for the museum. Then I try to research informations about all this time and also about the period of the WWI when germans came in 1917.

My principal investigations are only on this two periods.

Also, and more personnaly, I'm searching all informations about Lt Ben Martin T. pilot fighters of the 357th FS, 355th FG who crashed at Ath on 29/01/1944 after a fight over Koblenz. He was hid by my father-in-law and his brother in the attic of their house. My father-in-law always has its jacket of pilot and its whistle.

I'm open to all documents to help the museum.

(I hope that my english is clear...)

Best regards

Herchuel Philippe
Old 27th March 2007, 22:16

I will see what I can find out to help.

Your story sounds like the one of the Royal Flush crew near the base. The communities were very helpful during those times we needed them.

And your English is doing just fine.

Regards,

Jarrod
Old 27th March 2007, 22:27

Thanks a lot for your help.

I live near the Shape, approximately 7 miles from Chičvres, and during May to september, I go to the market at Maisičres, perhaps we could have a meet at this occasion.

Also, I forget to relate that my grandfather was a "resistant", member ou the "Groupe G". He was captured on 7/06/1944 after a denonciation. He was transfered in Germany and was liberated by american forces on 1945. He came back in 1946. He always said that when he saw the first G.I he wanted to kiss him...

See you soon...

Best regards

Herchuel Philippe
Old 28th March 2007, 02:53

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Ben returned to England in late May 1944 and returned to States in accordance with practice to protect the Underground in case downed again.

Attached is a picture. I added the names of your father-in-law and his brother to my combat diary for the 355th FG. You may use the picture as you wish.

Regards,

Bill Marshall
Old 28th March 2007, 10:32

Thanks a lot drgondog, I'll gonna print it for my father-in-law, I think it could be a good souvenir for him....

It's fantastic... thanks again...

Do you have a website relating the story of the 355th?

Bests regards

Herchuel Phlippe.
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:16

Here are two links that can help you get more information on the the 355th. Both sites have a great bunch of helpful people like here.

http://www.8thafhs.org/forums.htm

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=355

Regards,

Jarrod