Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Off Topic

Off Topic Please use this forum to discuss all off topic subjects.

Old 6th February 2012, 20:38
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
E-Books

I like books (paper bound) like most people but I've found the cost has been getting higher constantly. As of late I've found several books to put on my new Christmas gift (Amazon kindle fire). How much of the profit for these E-Books actually go to the author and how much to the publisher? Photographs and especially maps (because of the size in most cases), I don't see going on there. What is the possibility of in the future of authors putting there books in E-Book form (text versions) thus by passing the publishers as even computors now can run their books. The books that I've got have been "Red Star Airacobra", one on the WW1 German ace Werner Voss and several different battles at far lower price then the bound books.
Old 6th February 2012, 21:00
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: E-Books

Electronic form is future and they will come as soon as the reader become cheap and widely available. I do love to have publications in my hands but does not have with electronic one (actually I do publish small electronic magazine). One of the good feature is 'Print On Demand', you print just what you need and this is interesting as well today many magazines are covered with advertisements and lass part belong to 'real' content. Other good thing of electronic book is that they could contain movie or animation.

There is even one program who is capable to connect to various servers and publish your book or magazine in various form (there is couple of forms of electronic publications).

Other problem is the protection- this publications could be shared and copied without any loose of quality and owners for sure don't like that.
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 7th February 2012, 23:19
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

I've seen on Amazon e-books sold by them but also e-books from another seller. I know that the books can be "loaned" out to other readers for a certain time. I don't thing they can be printed out from an e-reader. I have seen hard bound copies uploaded at different websites for free downloads. The authors could get their books printed out faster and with no "cuts" in material possibly in this form.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:06
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a negative trend. Even if Amazon sells a book for $3.99, illegal sites will still exist with pirated copies for free download, then no one is paid anything for the counterfeit book. There are other problems as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/te...ok-market.html

In the United States, there is a concept called "actions in restraint of trade." Also, what will authors, artists and editors be paid?

Ed