Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 11th November 2007, 18:24

judyc
Re: Eagle Editions' Fw 190 Dora vol. 1 book now shipping

Hi Nick;
Amazon has ordered over 400 books for their first placement and it has been shipped to their warehouse in Kentucky, here in the US. I emailed them on Thursday as to the status of shipping out orders. Because most all of these ordered books are backordered to customers, perhaps that is why they are saying that their next shipment out will be in January, don't really know. Hope to get a better answer on Monday but it does seem like it is taking a rather long time for them to process and ship.
In any event, they either have received their order or it will be delivered next week.
Keep me informed as I do want to know how our dealers are handling our customers!
Thanks,
Judy
Old 11th November 2007, 18:32

Jerry Crandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffon View Post
Got my copy on Friday, all I can say is WOW!

but I noticed a small error in the book probably...

on page 29, the caption to the picture of Fw. Ungar.
while stating that he was a very experienced pilot, only some lines further, it is stated that he finished the war with "28 combat missions" completed, a rather low score IMHO.

is this correct or this is an error?

otherwise, a great book about one of my favourite fighter aircraft of all time

cheers
phil

Hi Phil;
Thank you for your nice comments about our new book. In regards to your question about Fritz Ungar - he was a very experienced pilot. I did not imply that he was an experienced combat pilot or was an Experten with a lot of victories. If you read the caption under his photo on page 53 you will see why he was an experienced pilot.."he amassed many hours of flying time as an instructor pilot in 1942 and 1943"... qualifying him as an experienced pilot.
I hope this clears up your question,
Cheers,
Jerry
Old 11th November 2007, 18:40

Griffon is on a distinguished road

Hello Jerry!

well, thanks for the comment, but it did not answer my question entirely;
the caption text for the picture states that Fw. Ungar joined his Staffel, 9/JG54 on the 7th August 1943 and flew the D9 for the first time in September 1944.
I cannot believe that he only flew 28 combat missions between August 1943 and the end of the war;
is this really correct?

anyways, the more I read in the book, the more I like it

three of my gems in my growing LW book collection now deal with the 190D and some more are still to come
I am really looking forward to Vol.II of your work!

many greetings from Vienna
phil
Old 11th November 2007, 19:46

Jerry Crandall

Hi Phil;
It does sound a little unusual that Fritz Ungar only flew 28 missions, but I'll quote his letter dated 2003 to me capsulizing his flying and combat career:
"My first combat assignment was to 9./JG 54 on 7 August 1943 in Amsterdam until 6 March 1944. Up to 6 March I only had 11 combat flights. I was in a military hospital from 6 March (I was shot down over Berlin) to August 1944 because of an injury. To the end of the war I had only a total of 28 combat missions."
All of his information is recorded in his flugbuch of which we have a copy.
Hope this better explains his flying career.
Cheers,
Jerry
Old 11th November 2007, 20:17

nick de carteret is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyc View Post
Hi Nick;
Amazon has ordered over 400 books for their first placement and it has been shipped to their warehouse in Kentucky, here in the US. I emailed them on Thursday as to the status of shipping out orders. Because most all of these ordered books are backordered to customers, perhaps that is why they are saying that their next shipment out will be in January, don't really know. Hope to get a better answer on Monday but it does seem like it is taking a rather long time for them to process and ship.
In any event, they either have received their order or it will be delivered next week.
Keep me informed as I do want to know how our dealers are handling our customers!
Thanks,
Judy
Hi again Judy,

Thanks for bringing us up to date re Amazon... I will keep you in touch with how things proceed from here.

Nick.
Old 11th November 2007, 21:21

Hello Jerry!

thanks again very much for the clarification
it really sounds unusual for a LW pilot in the thick of the action to only have completed 28 combat missions, but thats the way life goes sometimes it seems.

having browsed through the book a little more deeply, besides abusing the 190D9 for FlightSimulator 2004, I have to second what Neil has posted about this book, simply stunning!

anyone who has not put up an order for it, do so immediately, you will not be dissapointed!
Old 21st November 2007, 19:34

nick de carteret is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyc View Post
Keep me informed as I do want to know how our dealers are handling our customers!Thanks,Judy
Judy... just got an email to say that mine is on the way.
Old 2nd December 2007, 02:38

WEISNER is on a distinguished road

Somthing I realized after reading the Eagle book, was I have for some time had a German-English / English-German Aviation Dictionary, Published by Ward Lock & Co., Limited. This was first published in 1957. The KICKER is it is written by Roderich Cescotti, I would never have probably known about this man if not for Jerry's book. It was just somthing I always had used for quick translation without ever giving the Author a second thought.
In itself a handy book, as it deals with only translations of words used in Pilot talk, including various weapons etc..... Also conversion charts, R/T Phraseology for a typical GCA approach and standard basic R/T Phraseology for GCA.
Kev

Last edited by WEISNER; 2nd December 2007 at 19:06.
Old 3rd December 2007, 10:32

Cescotti also wrote a book about German tactical military aircraft, published by Schiffer (English language edition)

this here:
http://www.amazon.com/History-German...6674261&sr=8-1

I did not know that he was a LW pilot before reading Jerrys book although I knew the name for years (from the German language edition of above mentioned book-although I do not have it [yet])...
Old 4th December 2007, 00:07
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

IIRC Cescotti was among the veterans quoted in a number of Alfred Price's books, including the original edition of "Battle Over The Reich" (1973 or '74).