Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th March 2011, 22:14
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
ID of Bf109 down on French Beach BoB?

Hello,

Has anybody got an ID for this probable Battle of Britain 109 FL on French Beach? Are other photos known of this aircraft?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...OIBUAA:US:1123

Regards,
Old 21st March 2011, 02:23

F19Gladiator is on a distinguished road
Re: ID of Bf109 down on French Beach BoB?

Another photo here:
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...ndpost&p=68961
Br/Goran
Old 21st March 2011, 11:44
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Jesus...
176 Euros for a picture! The guy who bought it certainly knows the identity...
Yours
Adriano
PS: 176 Euros is almost 55% of the Minimum Salary in Brazil...
Old 21st March 2011, 23:32

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Another ex-ebay auction shot

Last edited by ChrisS; 21st May 2012 at 15:05.
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:49
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Trying to remember where the other photos may be - is this the same aircraft pictured in one of the Lw in Focus issues, I think from a bluff overlooking a beach in France, being towed by a halftrack? As I recall, that photo was from 1941, and was of a machine from fighter training unit. I'm probably wrong and need to review the Lw in Focus issues, but to my recollection, the general appearance and markings of the machine were the same.
Old 22nd March 2011, 05:28

Markus is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

I think it is brown 6+ from 3.(J)/LG 2 (see on special yellow nose and unique number 6). Probably September 1940. Is riddled.
On this Luftwaffe side has been last week discussion.

Marek (from CZ)
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:01
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hello,

@Chris, need a help to get the right picture???
@Markus Braune 6 outlined in White?...

See This EXCELLENT thread, last post (mine)
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=24648 ...No need to go elsewhere.

I did take the picture out:....
Last time - another plane - I did put a picture on request I didn't hear "THANK YOU" yet!

Franck.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:29

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Yep Franck's right there is a discussion on this one already maybe this thread should be merged.

But another thought: the 'six' is rather curious because normally Luftwaffe 6's curled top end ends in a diagonal, this six has a flat, horizontal ending.
After studying lots of photographs, the only units to use this style of six were JG 51, JG 2 and JG 3. My theory is that, of the three aforementioned units, this is an ex-JG 51 machine specifically 5./JG 51 because the unit marking, the woodpecker, has been painted out just aft of the balkankreuz.

Franck, I also think Markus may have a point as wasn't Bf-109E-7 W.Nr. 2058, 3./LG 2 of Uffz. August Klick a 'white outlined Brown 2' ? Our photo in discussion also had very similar markings to this one.

Cheers

Chris
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:51
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
... Franck, I also think Markus may have a point as wasn't Bf-109E-7 W.Nr. 2058, 3./LG 2 of Uffz. August Klick a 'white outlined Brown 2' ? Our photo in discussion also had very similar markings to this one.

Cheers

Chris
Yes, You're right Chris, SORRY Markus !!! .

So if we consider the seller is right: Wissant AND October we stay (inside known loss list of course) with a Bf109E-7, WNr.2032 of 3.(J)./LG 2, Bruch 20% following Prien loss list, on 29/10/1940.
... Mmmmm, that loss (with 25%.) was attribuated to Marseille in a former thread, in TOCH, some times ago ?! And I did kept it like that in my datas!

Funny that continuous & permanent way & back between Marseille losses & Wissant in these columns... Should we consider that between ALL the pictures we got on eBay, one of them does concern one of Marseille's losses, definitly ???

Or, most probably, should we think that those sellers are trying to "sell us" a Marseille loss picture writing Wissant as understatement? Because this picture is showing us a plane on a beach; nothing more. Could be Wissant, Cap gris nez or Ambleteuse either: it's the same area.

Regards, Franck.
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:06
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

Thanks to all of you for your comments and posting the photo. I must admit, that I missed the earlier discussion about this photo on the LEMB Board, and the previous TOCH photo listing. My opinion is that I agree with Marek (Markus) that this is a 3.(J)/LG2 aircraft. This said after reviewing the relevant photos in the EOE DB. If other unit emblems have been overpainted, a plane coming back from a repair depot could explain that, and not be indicative of the current unit.

Regarding the speculation about this being one of the Marseille's planes, I thought that he was assigned to 1 Staffel, not 3 Staffel during this period. I think that, without further supporting evidence, that this is way too far a stretch for that conclusion.

Regards,