Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th November 2007, 22:49

Don Caldwell
Me 262 Werknummern

My apologies if this is the wrong forum and/or this question has been discussed previously. I'm updating my Me 262 WNr list, which was originally based on Dan O'Connell's Word file, now withdrawn from the Stormbird site. In his 2005 book Messerschmitt Me 262: The Production Log 1941-1945 he has dropped all of the 900xxx series from his list. I assume that this is no longer considered a valid WNr block, but the website listed 792 aircraft in this block -- an appreciable percentage of total production. Where have these aircraft gone? Are they all now in the extensive "unknown Werknummern" list in the book?

I probably should try to track O'Connell down, but I'm always impatient, and this forum has a reputation for quick replies. I'm not duplicating this request anywhere else, so are counting on you guys for help.

Horrido!

Don
Old 12th November 2007, 23:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Me 262 Werknummern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Caldwell View Post
I probably should try to track O'Connell down ... counting on you guys for help.
Don
You can send him a PM via this forum, Don.
Old 13th November 2007, 00:04
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

As far as I remember this was a fictional block necessary to put all unknown cases into a functional database.
Old 13th November 2007, 00:31

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Franek is right, it was simply a six digit number in order to enter the unknowns. I picked 9xxxxx as there were never any assigned to Me 262's.
Messerschmitt Me 262: The Production Log 1941-1945 is substantialy larger than that data base.
It suffered an extensive crash at Stormbirds and it appears doubtful that it will ever be repaired.
Very best, Dan
Old 13th November 2007, 02:12

Don Caldwell

Thanx Dan, Franek, and Nick. Mystery solved. Quick is good. The notional 9xxxxx Werknummern do help create a useful table and make sorts by other fields (unit, date, etc.) simple. I put the data from Dan's Word table into my ancient Appleworks datbase years ago and am now adding the new material from the book (yes, it's a lot, but the effort is worth it.) I'll probably keep the notional numbers, and convert the new "unknown WNr" text into the old format. (I'm interested in events rather than WNr, anyway, for the RLV War Diary I'm working on now, and I won't be using the WNr themselves.)

Horrido!

Don
Old 13th November 2007, 07:24

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Caldwell View Post
Thanx Dan, Franek, and Nick. Mystery solved. Quick is good. The notional 9xxxxx Werknummern do help create a useful table and make sorts by other fields (unit, date, etc.) simple. I put the data from Dan's Word table into my ancient Appleworks datbase years ago and am now adding the new material from the book (yes, it's a lot, but the effort is worth it.) I'll probably keep the notional numbers, and convert the new "unknown WNr" text into the old format. (I'm interested in events rather than WNr, anyway, for the RLV War Diary I'm working on now, and I won't be using the WNr themselves.)

Horrido!

Don
Interesting Don, you are more interested in the activities, yet I am vitally interested in the WNr (and info per each one) to get that much closer to understanding just how many were really made, and used. That was/is my continueing goal.
I'm virtually certain the oft quoted number of 1,432 stated by Messerschmitt to the USSBS was only what they were paid for, not how many were actually made.
Please feel free to PM me any time, I'd be pleased to swap information. Best, Dan