Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th May 2011, 21:08

vinnie is on a distinguished road
WNF Werknummern Me-109

Hello everybody,

I have a question concerning the Messerschmitt Bf-109 19093-19999 Werk Nr. block from the Wiener Neustädter Flugzeugwerke. This is the only block I could discover with G-4 and G-6 production. What I would like to find out is what this meant for the configuration of the G6 Messerschmitts built in this block. One of the forum members told me that some G-6 aircraft from this block had spoked wheels (from the G-4), because they were converted G4's. Is there anything more to say about these planes? For example about the length of the aircraft (the G-4 was 9 cm shorter than the G-6)?
Thanks!

Vinnie
Old 26th May 2011, 03:01
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: WNF Werknummern Me-109

Vinnie:

All Gs were the same length.

The descrepancy comes from a maintenance book issued, prematurely, for the P-6 reversable propellor which was never produced, but the issue of different length, based on the spinner, made its way into the world of the internet.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:41

Thanks, John! That clears up several issues. It was the internet that made me think this, but good to know that the length was the same.
I understood that several G-4 planes were converted to G-6, and they had the earlier spoked wheels (660x160) with ribbed tyres. This has to be the only actual difference. Interesting to know!
Old 28th May 2011, 17:29

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road

Might I be the source of that?

I might add that some of these aircraft also had an open well for the tailwheel although I don't think it was retractable...
Old 3rd August 2011, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Farrel View Post
Might I be the source of that?

I might add that some of these aircraft also had an open well for the tailwheel although I don't think it was retractable...
I read it on several websites, don't worry! You have only told me correct things, for example about the possibility of spoked wheels on early WNF G-6 Messerschmitts. This is true, though I don't know when they actually switched to non-spoked wheels...