Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 27th May 2010, 09:03

Roger_m is on a distinguished road
Early Spitfire dataplate, ID needed

Hello,

I am new here. I am trying to identify an early Spit (probably a MkIIA). The firewall dataplate reads:

SERIAL No. HAI 6S 75198
DRWG No. 30027 SHT 7 ISSUE 14
PASSED 83

Any chance to identify the aircraft’s RAF serial and history? All I know is that the plane crashed in the North of France, place and date unfortunately unknown.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roger
Old 27th May 2010, 12:50

PeterA
Re: Early Spitfire dataplate, ID needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_m View Post
Hello,

I am new here. I am trying to identify an early Spit (probably a MkIIA). The firewall dataplate reads:

SERIAL No. HAI 6S 75198
DRWG No. 30027 SHT 7 ISSUE 14
PASSED 83

Any chance to identify the aircraft’s RAF serial and history? All I know is that the plane crashed in the North of France, place and date unfortunately unknown.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roger
This data plate is from the 'Frame 5' firewall, which was a sub contracted part by Supermarine (6S) to Heston Aircraft Industries (HAI).

'300' tells us it is a Mk I and '27' that it is from the fuselage group.

If every sub-assembly was sequential, and it varies, the identity of this aircraft would be X4354 by transposition of known data for X4276.

I would therefore start your research on plus or minus half a dozen on X4354 and see if anything looks to be a candidate.

PeterA
Old 27th May 2010, 13:29

Smile Re: Early Spitfire dataplate, ID needed

I'll check it. Thank you very much, much appreciated.

Regards,

R.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:08
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

How about

X4350 1 PRU 15/9/40 Shot down by Flak Lannilis, Finistere 16.12.40 F/O S J Millen Killed

Ignore...

"Spitfire I X4350 - took off at 1415 and shot down into the sea by flak at Lannilis, 20km north of Brest. The pilot’s body later washed ashore near Tréflez, 30km NE of Brest, and is buried there."
Old 27th May 2010, 16:20

PeterA, I have a question: I found this old thread.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=15415

here somebody requested almost the same info from a CBAF Spit dataplate.

You explained then that "drawing number 30027 SHT7 Issue 14 is in fact the firewall and because of the CBAF construction number will be a Mk II. Issue 14 for this drawing is dated 10 July 1940 incorporating Modification number 76 which was Mk II specific."

Since my plate carries the same marking 30027 SHT7 Issue 14 should we then deduce that my plane was a MkII as the CBAF example? Or being a 6S Supermarine product the Issue 14 does not apply and is then a MkI?

Thanks for the explanation.

I checked the X435X range, but no real candidates. Only X4342 would fit but was a (converted) MkV...

Thanks for your help.

R.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:06

PeterA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_m View Post
PeterA, I have a question: I found this old thread.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=15415

here somebody requested almost the same info from a CBAF Spit dataplate.

You explained then that "drawing number 30027 SHT7 Issue 14 is in fact the firewall and because of the CBAF construction number will be a Mk II. Issue 14 for this drawing is dated 10 July 1940 incorporating Modification number 76 which was Mk II specific."

Since my plate carries the same marking 30027 SHT7 Issue 14 should we then deduce that my plane was a MkII as the CBAF example? Or being a 6S Supermarine product the Issue 14 does not apply and is then a MkI?

Thanks for the explanation.

I checked the X435X range, but no real candidates. Only X4342 would fit but was a (converted) MkV...

Thanks for your help.

R.
Mk I's built by Supermarine in Southampton area. 6S.

Mk II's built by Vickers in the new Castle Bromwich Aeroplane Factory. CBAF.

Mk II Firewall frame 5 will be interchangeable and service both Mk I & II new build and replacement would be my interpretation. There would be some overlap of Mk I and II build at these two different locations.

Apart from getting the Mk II's up and running at CBAF with some Supermarine help, mostly on the wings, and the proximity of your firewall to X4276, both with HAI sub-contracted firewalls, I would be pretty certain you have a component from a Mk I there.

PeterA
Old 27th May 2010, 18:01
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

Hold on..

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4165

"Among those still unindentified crash sites found in this north west Brittany area, one is near Lannilis, on Loc-Brévalaire commune. The particularity of this recovery, is that absolutely no ammunition was found. But at least five or six oxygen bottles of different sizes. The engine was fitted with twinned exhaust pipes, and very thin valves what, for my research friend Jean Tréguer of Kernilis, would indicate an old engine. "

Is this from the same aircraft... If that is the case I would go for 'X4350'

X4350 1 PRU 15/9/40 Shot down by Flak Lannilis, Finistere 16.12.40 F/O S J Millen Killed

""Spitfire I X4350 - took off at 1415 and shot down into the sea by flak at Lannilis, 20km north of Brest. The pilot’s body later washed ashore near Tréflez, 30km NE of Brest, and is buried there." "

Prehaps he bailed out... and aircraft actually crashed on to land..... and that is what has been found.. Notice how the aircraft mentioned crasjed near 'Lannilis' and carried 'no ammunition' a PRU aircraft like X4350 would be un-armed
Old 27th May 2010, 19:03

Thanks Paul, most interesting but my dataplate is certainly not from the Lannilis wreckage posted in the photos of your link. My dataplate (including the accompanying firewall and the rest of the wreckage) shows no corrosion and is in far better condition (my parts don’t look like coming from a dug-out crash, or if was the case, that was a very “soft” crash, like in a swamp, for example.)
Old 27th May 2010, 19:34
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

Roger

So you have more wreckage than just the dataplate?

Can you give a more specific area??

Paul
Old 27th May 2010, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
Can you give a more specific area??
The previous owner lived in the north-east, so I suppose the wreck was found in that area (another point which for me discards X4350 as Lannilis is far in the north-west). I have no other data, sorry. The previous owner passed away and with him all information on where the wreckage was found.