Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd March 2005, 20:56

miss.t is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Emblems

Could anyone please tell me what these emblems are? I was told the one on the left was for Udet Squadron and the one on the right for II/JG 3. I found a picture with the emblem on the right on Franz Von Werra's Aircraft. Was this emblem used on all the planes in the II/JG3? http://www.treasurehuntarms.com/foru...uftemblems.jpg
Old 23rd March 2005, 08:25

Gielle
Re: Luftwaffe Emblems

As far as I know, the one on the left is the Geshwader badge of JG 3 (which took the honour name "Udet" after the WW1 ace committed suicide in Nov 1941), the one on the right is the Gruppe badge of II./JG 3.
Someone else could maybe explain about Von Werra ..
Old 23rd March 2005, 22:01

Gielle
Re: Luftwaffe Emblems

To be more precise, the Geschwader emblem on the left was introduced in early 1942, while the badge on the right, which was painted on Von Werra's Bf 109 E-4 when he was forced to belly landing in Kent (England) on 5 Sept 1940, was the II./JG 3 emblem, and you can find it on many more aircraft of the Gruppe, at least up to 1942.