Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th January 2019, 00:37

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Re: Bergunskommando or Salvage Detachments

Awesome post above and what an excellent thread.

Bronc
Old 11th January 2019, 08:43

Henofred is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Larry, very interesting excerpt.

I note also that some MACR held at the NARA have copies of "Bergtrupps" reports. More I look for more I see that kind of documents in some of them.

I found also this. Here a link about the “Beutepark d. Lw. 5 Paris” (starting on page 20 - unfortunately in French) with several pictures. By clicking on the picture, you access to the Historical Society of Nanterre Bulletin (June 2004). http://histoire-nanterre.org/?p=560

Best regards,
Frederic
Old 11th January 2019, 11:16
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

2x Spitfire wreck at Zerlegebetrieb" Utrecht
https://hetutrechtsarchief.nl/beeldm...32816%7D%20asc
https://www.vereniging-atc.nl/sites/...?itok=70iPauBh

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showpost.php?p=107450&postcount=1

"I'm searching for information about The Zerlegebetrieb, Utrecht in The Netherlands.
At this Luftwaffe location, at the Cartesiusweg (Cartesiusroad), German an allied warplanes where scrapped. At the end of 1943 the "Zerlegebetrieb" Utrecht moved by Flieger Haupt Jakob Mairitsch, to Concentrationcamp 's-Hertogenbusch-Vught (Rohruckbetrieb Herzogenbusch-Vught). After scrapping the planes the metal transported to Germany to be used in warfactories.

In the begin the commando was Dienststelle Luftwaffebeute at Berlin. Later upgradet to an Abteilung. At last it felt under the Nachschubamt. In the Netherlands Luftwaffe Bergebataillon 4 was in charge to demolisch and transport the crashed planes to Utrecht or 's-Hertogenbusch-Vught. They used trucks, boats and trains."

contact Peter van Kaathoven. He did a lecture about this item http://www.arg1940-1945.nl/duits/act...ender2017d.htm and his email is here http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=21364

Old 11th January 2019, 13:28

sveahk

Checking through copies I've made over the years of documents from the archive in Freiburg/Brsg, I found quite a few "Luftwaffen-Berge-Truppen". Most of them concerning the salvaging of own and enemy aircraft in Holland, Belgium and France during 1943 (RL 22/2 - RL 22/6), but also one Kriegstagebuch from the eastern front, Luftwaffen-Berge-Bataillon I (RL 22/1).

A big chunk it is, hundreds and hundreds of pages, here are three examples how they look like...

Greetings Hans K

Last edited by sveahk; 6th July 2020 at 15:21.
Old 11th January 2019, 13:48

Thank you gents for these answers and samples, greatly appreciated. Now, we have archives call numbers where to search...

Taking advantage of this opportunity, Hans K, do you have something in your copies around March 6, 1943 for the Brest-Peninsula, Brittany, France?

Best regards,
Frederic
Old 11th January 2019, 15:20

sveahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henofred View Post
Taking advantage of this opportunity, Hans K, do you have something in your copies around March 6, 1943 for the Brest-Peninsula, Brittany, France?

Best regards,
Frederic
Sorry, nothing from that part of France and almost nothing that early in 1943.

Rl 22/3 and 22/6 are from april-november 1943 and almost only southern France.

RL 22/2 (not quite sure about that number), 22/4 and 22/5 deal with northern France, Belgium and Holland. Mostly summer and autumn 1943.

Found another one - RL 22/24 - who gives us 33 "Bergungen" in 1943, and curiously enough most of them are crashed Ju-87 belonging to Stukageschwader 101, all at St Raphael...! A training school or just too much french wine...?

Greetings Hans K
Old 12th January 2019, 11:07

Hans K, thank you for the details regarding the content of these archives call numbers (...and to have taken a look in your papers).

About your "funny" assumption, the rosé wine is particularly good in that part of southern France!

Best regards,
Frederic
Old 12th January 2019, 15:08
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Frederic,

In France, prior to 1 September 1943, the Flugzeug-Bergungstruppe came under the Luftflotte 3 Chef Ingenieur. He in turn parceled them out for attachment to the Koflug (Kommando Flughafenbereich) as the need dictated, and these in turn could assign them for temporary duty with individual Fliegerhorstkommandanturen. Additionally, the Werft-Kp. at each Fliegerhorstkommandantur had its own organic Bergungstrupp, sometimes 2 or 3 of them. None of these little 8 to 12 man Trupps kept their own records, such as a KTB mit Anglagen. They just filled out forms and filed hand-written reports to the Fl.H.Kdtr. and the Koflug.

In March 1943, there were an estimated 35 independently numbered Flugzeug-Bergungstruppe in West France plus another 100+ that were organic to the Werft-Kpn.

Since you are specifically interested in March 1943 in Brittany, you might want to determine the Koflug responsible for the Brest Peninsula and the Fliegerhorstkommandanturen that were there at that time. IMHO, that would be the best place to look. These records are in BA-MA RL 20 and RL 21.

Hope this helps a bit!

Larry
Old 12th January 2019, 18:13

Hello/Bonjour Larry,

Thank you for these additional details, not simple I see. But already, I learned a little more on these "Bergungstrupps".

Best regards,
Frederic
Old 26th January 2020, 13:58

Gildas is on a distinguished road

Many thanks to all for this very interesting information.

Frederick,I think the second loss on March 6th, 1943, the one of F/O PRIHODA Josef is not at sea, even if he was reported as MIA, but south of Gouesnou, as reported on Erik Moombeck JG2 history. Moreover that there's an unknown airman who rests at Brest with that date on his stone. A scholar at Gouesnou saw a plane falling down in this area from high level, making a big sound, but without being able to give a date. The crash area I was indicated is built.

Kind regards
Gildas