Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 6th July 2007, 18:31

Mark Copeland is on a distinguished road
Dr. Prein Jagdfliegerverbande der Deutschen books - who has the best prices?

Hello Everyone!!

I took the bait and cleared some space on my bookshelf to begin collecting the fabulous Jagdfliegerverbande series. I cannot say enough about these wonderful books. Dr. Prien, you have gone far and above any other series of books in your vast catolag.

I have been purchasing the books from Christian Schmidt Books in Munich.
I love the shop and would like to continue buying them from through C.S., but with the U.S. to Euro exchange rate...it starts to really hurt after a while.

Can anyone suggest a better place in Germany to these purchase books? My wife and daughter are going off to Germany later this month.
We are planning to stay mainly in the Southern portion of the country.

Is there anywhere other than C.S. that carries the Prein books at a better price than C.S.?

I would appreciate may insight that someone can give. Thanks for all your help!!

Mark Copeland
Lakeville, Minnesota
Old 8th July 2007, 00:03

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Dr. Prein Jagdfliegerverbande der Deutschen books - who has the best prices?

Mark,

I'm not an expert of the German book shops, but if you are interested in this series, you can order these books directly from the publisher as well, maybe you can pick them a bit cheaper in this way (altough seems to me, that the listed price is the same as Herr Schmidt's).

Their homepage is:
http://www.jagdgeschwader.net/index.html
Old 9th July 2007, 19:02

Falcon
Re: Dr. Prein Jagdfliegerverbande der Deutschen books - who has the best prices?

Here in Germany we have a fixed book price for dealers. Its not allowed to change the price for books. You can try to get it from 2nd hand.
Or you save money with shipping costs.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:52
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

The name is actually Prien, not Prein.
Old 11th July 2007, 17:27

Mark Copeland is on a distinguished road

Denes,

Shame on me....you are right and my apologies to Dr. Prien. I before E...except after C. Thank you for the correction Denes.

Mark Copeland
Old 11th July 2007, 20:13

RolandF is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Dr. Prein Jagdfliegerverbande der Deutschen books - who has the best prices?

Personally I´d try to get in contact with a book store close to one of your hotels - maybe one where you stay for several days -and order the book via e-mail. Under normal circumstances every good store keeps the book until you fetch it. Maybe your hotel can be helpful to let the desired books be reserved?

I did so when buying a book about the 109 available only in Switzerland (at a good price, of course)

Falcon is right, btw. Book prices are fixed in Germany

Regards

Roland
Old 11th July 2007, 23:20
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

Roland,

Where did you get your 109 book in Switzerland? I have all sort of trouble to get the right books here in Geneva...

Cheers

Marc
Old 12th July 2007, 00:26

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandF View Post
... I did so when buying a book about the 109 available only in Switzerland ...
Hi Roland,

Sounds interesting -- could you please provide some more details about this 109 book? (e.g. title, author, publisher, and/or ISBN.)

Regarding the cost of German books, here are a few ways to save money:
  1. Choose a German book store that provides personalized service and is willing and able to order all the new books you might want, then batch your purchases every few months to minimize shipping charges. (I highly recommend Christian Schmidt in Munich for this.)
  2. Always check www.ebay.de and the various book search engines (e.g. www.bookfinder.com, www.choosebooks.com, www.eurobuch.com, etc.) before buying anything. In other words, avoid paying full retail whenever possible. FYI, Ed West often includes some great book auctions in his eBay photo listings.
  3. Keep an eye out for book sales by members of this forum, as well as on other sites. For example, Eric Mombeek has some great bargains in his current sales list at www.luftwaffe.be (click the "For Sale" link.)
Disclaimer: I'm not in any way associated with the recommended entities above, other than being a satisfied customer.

Hope that helps,
Leon Venter
Old 12th July 2007, 15:18

RolandF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
could you please provide some more details about this 109 book? (e.g. title, author, publisher, and/or ISBN.)
Georg Hoch: Die Messerschmitt Me 109 in der Schweizer Flugwaffe - ein Stück Zeitgeschichte
Georg Hoch Publishing 2004
256 pages, ca 450 most previously unpublished photos, twelve in colour
First publication in 1999
2 nd revised issue in 2004.
ISBN 3 905404 10 9
Fr 75.- (ca € 50.-)

More info (in german):

http://www.georg-hoch.ch/28201.html?...ession*id*val*

I bought it here - a nice and friendly bookshop:

http://www.schreibers.ch/de/content---1--1008.html

I´m just busy with reading - very interesting details, especially about the 1940 clashes with the Reich and the 1944 Swiss deal of late-war 109s. Covers all encounters and shotdowns of Luftwaffe and USAAF planes.

E.g. did you know the fact that Switzerland considered the license production of the He 112 with Hispano-suiza engines? And that the mid-war low tails of the first G-batch were exchanged against freshly-produced tall units in the last months of the war? Very amazing what was possible in these days.
The quality of the delivered G-fighters is discussed, too. The deficiencies of the DB engines are pictured comprehensively. Though the profiles don´t reach the quality of recently published books Imo a very recommendable publication.

Regards

Roland .
Old 13th July 2007, 22:24

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandF View Post
Georg Hoch: Die Messerschmitt Me 109 in der Schweizer Flugwaffe - ein Stück Zeitgeschichte
Georg Hoch Publishing 2004
256 pages, ca 450 most previously unpublished photos, twelve in colour
First publication in 1999
2 nd revised issue in 2004.
Hi Roland,

Thanks very much for your detailed response. I have the first edition of the book, but wasn't aware that it had been revised. Do you happen to know if the text and photo content were changed significantly in the second edition?

FYI, according to the author's website (www.george-hoch.ch), an English edition of the book will be published in the USA as "The Me 109 in the Swiss Air Force". No further details available at present.

Regards,
Leon Venter