Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 30th September 2019, 00:12

Mikeh117 is on a distinguished road
Help my grandfather receive the Legion D’honneur

My grandfather W.G.Batham (Guy) was a FAA pilot in 1943-45. He was in 885 Squadron where he was a spotter flying Seafire III’s on D-Day before he went to the Pacific on HMS Ruler and joined 1844 Squadron on HMS Indomitable and flew Gumman Hellcats. Incredibly he never felt it necessary to tell any of his family this until very recently. He’s about to celebrate his 96th birthday in November and I’ve been in touch with the MoD who tell me he is entitled to be awarded Chevalier De La Legion D'Honneur for his service. They’ve just sent what I’ve found so far over the the French Embassy but I’d like to continue my research and make sure I have all the evidence needed if they ask any questions.

We would probably never have learned about grandads role in the war if it hadn’t been for a comment he made about his car number plate reading 886 which was annoyingly one away from 885, the number of his former squadron! We asked him to explain a little more and he went on to tell us about him once being a pilot. We knew his parents and siblings were decorated officers and had been mentioned in dispatches but grandad never really said anything about his role. I’ve found him in the UK Navy lists so his recollection of the squadron number is accurate.

Grandad had all his service medals stolen in 1987 and we have no documents from that era as he likely chose not to keep them. However I have found quite a lot about him online already. 885 were part of 34 recon wing and his job was to fly over the D-day beaches and radio the ships in the channel the location of the enemy guns. He says he was involved in a dog fight but when asked about it says someone else got credit. One of his fellow 885 FAA pilots died that day. I’ve found a book by George Boyd called Boyds War, George served alongside my grandfather in 885 so I hope to get a copy of his book soon.

Grandad is mentioned on this website in 1844 Squadron where it says he shot down a Japanese Zeke on his first mission. He was also onboard HMS Indomitable during a Kamikaze attack. He also mentioned he did a fly past over Sydney harbour on VJ Day in his Hellcat. When asked about how difficult it must have been flying on an aircraft carrier he said he enjoyed it!

What I would really like to find out is what plane he flew on D-day, the number of hours he was in the air, whether he would have witnessed the scenes below him on the beaches, and then what he did as the troops moved inland over the next few weeks. I know there are Squadron diaries and likely contemporary photos but I can find no mention of him in the National Archives or any database. I’ve ordered a copy of Sturtivant’s Squadrons of the FAA but can’t afford his full FAA aircraft list just yet.

My grandmother, a former WREN, passed away a few years ago and in her albums were a few photos from that era, including two of my grandfather standing in front of what looks like a Spitfire. Perhaps someone can help me identify the plane and which squadrons these were. He’s standing on the wing on the right of the picture in one of them and is fifth from right in the other. She also had a photo of a plane landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

Grandad is nearing the end of his life, he has dementia so has limited memory of the war and is in fading health. I hope he can be awarded with the recognition he rightly deserves and that I can share his story so we can all remember what these incredible people did for us. Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Photos:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auu4nZHAbTDViYVdDOdZmKqH-ZV6iA

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auu4nZHAbTDViYVcnicQCLyKYIS0cg

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auu4nZHAbTDViYVbh5rsdx5gs48s-A
Old 30th September 2019, 21:16
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Help my grandfather receive the Legion D’honneur

MIKE

Firstly: Congratulations for what you are doing on behalf of your Grandfather. You seems to be in a good way to Honour him. Do not give up....try to send the relevant documents you find to the French Embassy in England (London) and keep going...time urges!

Regarding his original medals...I understand that (you will need to prove Familiy rooths, etc.) perhaps your Grandfather can have another set of Medals, since his were stollen. If a Police Document do support this, it would be of help, I guess. Try to contact the MoD, here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-c...nd-eligibility

https://assets.publishing.service.go...MODMO_0001.pdf

Maybe others can be of Assistance, but guess that there should be a Royal Navy or Fleet Air Arm Museum, where you can ask for more professional assistance.

Am sure some of the members here do have more expertise and knowledge about the FAA and RN in WW2 than me!

Do NOT GIVE UP...and Congratulations for what you are doing on behalf of the "Old Eagle"....

Most humbly yours
Adriano S. Baumgartner
Old 30th September 2019, 21:18
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Are you able to add the pictures in low resolution here, so maybe someone can try to identify or be of help?

A.
Old 30th September 2019, 21:28
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I hope the following is of assistance.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...arm-personnel/

My father served in World War II, and like most veterans, rarely spoke about his experiences. It was only when he was a year away from turning 65 that I ran across a document showing he was in the Polish Army. It went like this:

"You were in the Army?"

Oh, yeah, yeah."

The end. But this reluctance was partly due to not wanting to remember certain things. Of the few things he did mention, they were unpleasant, let's say.

Note: Before contacting the French Embassy in London, make sure your information is in order.

https://uk.ambafrance.org/Contact-Us-24150

Best of luck,
Ed
Old 30th September 2019, 22:03

SteveR is on a distinguished road

Mike,

Wishing you every success in honoring your grandfather! You are doing the right thing; please persevere and let us know how it turns out.

Just so you know, your grandfather's victory is also briefly mentioned on p. 140 of John Winton's The Forgotten Fleet.
Old 30th September 2019, 23:15
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Sub Lt(A) William Guy Batham shared a Zeke 52 on May 4, 1945 at 0700, off Sakishima Gunto, with Sub Lt(A) Royston Thomas, while serving in 1844 Sqn. Batham was flying a Hellcat II JX756 coded W.163. The combat report is in the NA/PRO in ADM 199/842, pg 776-7.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:51

Black6 is on a distinguished road

The Fleet Air Arm museum and archive will be able to assist you - on his behalf - to obtain a copy of his official RN service records, this will be 100% positive proof for the Embassy and will rule out any ambiguity.

The FAA museum will also be able to direct you to the correct office of the MOD who should issue replacement medals for your grandfather. If nothing else they will be able to confirm his medal entitlement and with that you could quickly buy replacement medals off ebay and have them mounted for him. best of luck Pete
Old 4th October 2019, 02:11
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hi Mike,

Just to explain the 885/886 Sqn. enigma:

Seafires, 3rd Naval Fighter Wing, Lee-on-Solent: Air Spotting Pool, No.34 Reconnaissance Wing, 2nd TAF.

808 Sqn - 14.5.44-19.7.44 - 10 Spitfire L Mk. Vbs.
885 Sqn - 13.5.44-19.7.44 - 885 absorbed 897 on 15.7.44 and 886 on 19.7.44. 12 Seafire L Mk. IIIs.
886 Sqn - 20.5.44-19.7.44 - Disbanded 19.7.44, 10 Seafire L Mk. IIIs.
897 Sqn - 21.5.44-15.7.44 - Disbanded 15.7.44, 10 Spitfire L Mk. Vbs

See:
Aircraft For The Many A Detailed Survey of the RAF's Aircraft in June 1944.
Bowyer,Michael J. F.
Sparkford:Patrick Stephens Ltd.,1995.
p.302.

I suggest you also consult the following volume:

2nd Tactical Air Force - Volume Four - Squadrons, Camouflage and Markings, Weapons and Tactics 1943-1945.
Shores,Christopher & Chris Thomas.
Hersham:Classic/Midland Publishing,2008.
p.698 (Royal Navy Squadrons with the Air Spotting Pool).

PS. You will also find the claims/losses (if any), of the aforementioned squadrons in Volumes One and Two of the above mentioned source.

Col.

Last edited by Col Bruggy; 4th October 2019 at 07:57.

Tags
batham, d-day, faa, hellcat, seafire