Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th December 2010, 05:00
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Unknown emblem drawn directly on DB605 Engine

Recently I found photos of a DB605 DM. In 2 places, on the side are hand-drawn hearts, which point to 2 sperate spark plugs.

Sadly, I cannot show a photo due to copyright...however...I was able to draw the emblem exactly.

It was concluded that these emblems (being upside down), actually indicated a BAD sparkplug, and was painted on by the crewchief (they pointed directly to the sparkplug).

But...I have never seen markings like this before. There is some speculation whether the engine was used in a HUNGARIAN Me109G, so I was curious if these markings could in-fact be Hungarain and NOT German, as I have never seen markings like this on a German engine...

Can anyone confirm or has anyone seen markings like this on a DB605...any other engine?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 11th December 2010, 15:57
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unknown emblem drawn directly on DB605 Engine

I've worked in aviation maintenance for about 30 years and have done a little work on radials and Merlins.
It's just my opinion, but painting a symbol on the block to indicate a bad sparkplug doesn't make much sense.

Sparkplugs are pretty simple to change, as they need to be. If one was found to be bad you would just replace it.
If I was working the aircraft, I (and most mechanics) would identify the cyl. that was bad. No need to apply some type of symbol.

Regards,
Old 11th December 2010, 17:15
Alter Hase

hmmmmmmmmmmm...then what could the meaning be?
Old 11th December 2010, 18:28
Alter Hase

I just checked the photo again. 100% the arrow is pointing directly to the sparkplug. Annnnnnnnnnnnnd...that specific plug is painted red....

So it must be something to do with the plug...but what? Seems strange.

I do agree with what you said. If there is a bad sparkplug, why spend the time drawing this on it? Why not just repalce the plug?

Weird...

This engine was used in an Me109 that was captured and flight tested in the USA. Possible it is a US marking and plug was not replaced due to the plugs not being available in the USA? Warning not to fly as it has a bad plug?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

mike

Last edited by harrison987; 11th December 2010 at 19:10.
Old 11th December 2010, 22:43

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Greetings,

Perhaps this engine had low-compression in a couple of cylinders and required different/hotter plugs in those specific cylinders. Just an idea.

Steve Sheflin
Old 12th December 2010, 05:35
Alter Hase

Interesting!!

Crap, wish I had pics of the plugs...then I would know for sure...

mike
Old 12th December 2010, 12:00

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road

Frankly, I think the idea of a bad plug is too easy. As said before, a bad plug alone is simple to resolve; takes about as long to do that than to "tattoo" the engine. And after the plug is fixed, then you need to remove the symbol - more work. Since guesses are being offered, I tend to think like Steve S. Indeed, if that symbol is a sign of something bad, it was probably more serious, not easily resolved. The symbol tags the plug, the plug tags the cylinder, and that leaves open rings, valves, seals, etc. All are the kind of parts that when "off", give varying degrees of measurable/noticeable poor performance, and need more time and more resources to fix. In wartime, reduced performance does not always mean unacceptable performance. So perhaps those were markers to guide future overhaul attention. Do the two markings appear on the same side of the engine? How nice if a former Luftwaffe (or Hungarian) "black man" would weigh in to this thread . . .
Old 7th November 2012, 23:01

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road

How about, the badness was an ignition harness fault that they could not fix at the time?