Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 15th June 2020, 23:10
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Photos Japanese Aircraft

Hello,

Currently on ebay is a photo captioned by the seller as Tokogawa No.3 Farman at:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Scarce-Origi...cAAOSwP1de551~

Consulting my copy of Mikesh and Abe's Japanese Aircraft 1910-1941 P.47 - P.48 I believe the aircraft on the ledt may be the Kaishiki No.3 while the aircraft on the right is perhaps a Army Type Mo.

Also available is a photo of a Japanese Nieuport 6M operated by Japan at:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Scarce-Origi...sAAOSwF5Ne55uA

Regards,

Clint
Old 15th June 2020, 23:28
Alter Hase

Re: Photos Japanese Aircraft

Hello,

Also tonight on ebay are some japanese phone cards with photos of Japanese aircraft:

What appears to be anArmy Type Mo-6 Aeroplane, A Caudron G.4 and a Spad 13, the latter two definitely being post war at:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/X3-AEROPLANE...oAAOSwnlRe587r

Regards,

Clint
Old 16th June 2020, 19:16
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Clint

The Japanese Army never used any early Nieuport monoplanes.
Cannot say for certain with regard to the Navy, but I cannot locate any.

The Farman-Mo 6 has been published before but it is interesting to see the digits 40 on the fin. Japan built huge numbers of Farman copies. I wonder if Maurice and Henry ever saw a single yen.....

Cheers
Stig
Old 16th June 2020, 19:23
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

According to Davila and Soltan French Aircraft of the First World War P.351 Japan operated a single Nieuport quote 'probably a type 6M' It was sent 'to Tsingtao as part of the Provisional Air Corps Unit and flew reconnaiisance missions'.

Regards,

Clint
Old 16th June 2020, 19:37
Alter Hase

Indeed Clint

But that is refuted by Bernard Baeza in his Les Avions de l'Armée Imperial Japonaise 1910-1945.

Not a single line or photo of any Nieuport monoplane in that book....

Cheers
Stig
Old 16th June 2020, 20:30
Alter Hase

Ok Stig,

Well the info in Davila and Soltan did seem, relatively speaking, quite comprehensive. That is the aircraft was stated to have undertaken specific activities, and while its not possible to deduce that the aircraft is Japanese from the front of the postcard, the text on the rear may be (ok I couldn't tell you if its japanese or another language with a pictographic alphabet) Japanese.If Baeza explicitly states that no Nieuport was operated by Japan however, that does sound fairly definite. If its just not included, a bit less so.

Regards,

Clint
Old 2nd November 2020, 00:12
Alter Hase

Hello,

Currently on ebay are some interesting (?) photos of early Japanese Naval aircraft at :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Pre-W...IAAOSwGmZbzKqU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Pre-W...MAAOSwu3dbzKq-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Pre-W...UAAOSwJuZbzKrF

Regards,

Clint
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:45

twocee is on a distinguished road

Stig,

In Sekigawa's book on Japanese Military Aviation there are two photos of an Army Nieuport NG monoplane. He says that in 1913 the Army imported two from France, one three-seat NM and one two-seat NG. Both were used for training and in the Tsingtao campaign. The Navy did not buy any.
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:12
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocee View Post
Stig,

In Sekigawa's book on Japanese Military Aviation there are two photos of an Army Nieuport NG monoplane. He says that in 1913 the Army imported two from France, one three-seat NM and one two-seat NG. Both were used for training and in the Tsingtao campaign. The Navy did not buy any.
George/Clint

Yes I do have Sekigawa's book from 1974.

Baeza is very clear in his book from 2011, there are no Nieuport monoplanes listed in his work. One of his sources are the stated book, so it would be very strange if he had missed that detail.

However I also note that Mikesh/Abe state basically the same thing, twice, in their Putnam book, although they claim it was a single NG.

Checking further, I notice that the quite rare book 'Baron Miyahara and his World of Aircraft 1910-1970 (from 2008) also states two were imported, one two-seater and one three-seater. They also claim it was a Lt Nagasawa who went to France and bought them.

So with this veritable cannonade of other sources who claim 1 - 2 Nieuport monoplanes were used, perhaps Baeza is wrong after all....
Usually no smoke without a fire....

Cheers
Stig
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:26
Alter Hase

Hello Stig/George,

There is currently a photo on ebay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Pre-W...sAAOSwI2xbb8-g

I'm wondering if this too is a Nieuport, although checking Mikesh & Abe it could also be the Tsuzuku No.3 Aeroplane I guess.

Also I wonder could either of you identify the two floatplanes in the second link of my last post. I'm a bit stumped here.

Regards,

Clint