Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th November 2010, 19:58

marketc47 is on a distinguished road
What did German Glider pilots do after landing??

Hi,

I am wondering what the German glider pilots did after they had landed their glider. Did they stay with the outfit they had brought in? And went into combat?
Or was their taks to get out of the area and back to an airfield for another lift?

Hans
Old 6th November 2010, 03:45

JMSmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What did German Glider pilots do after landing??

walk!!!!!!
Old 6th November 2010, 13:01

marketc47 is on a distinguished road

John,

Thanks for the brilliant answer.
Unfortunatly it was not the kind of information that I am looking for.

I make out from the information that is provided that the German glider pilots did not use any other kind of transportation. Or maybe some more information pop up. That they used a car that they found on the side of the road with the engine running! Or a bicycle!

Anyway, the part that I am looking for is if the German glider pilots were trained and used as infantry just as the British glider pilots.
Old 6th November 2010, 13:50

hucks216 is on a distinguished road

I believe they were expected to fight with everyone else.
Old 6th November 2010, 14:06

Peter

Here is a link with accounts of how the gliders and pilots operated.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/camp...holmbattle.htm

Also, if you could get your hands on the publication Luftwaffe Im Focus 2/2003 you will find a photoreport on Unternehmen Rösselsprung that gives an good account to. Try Google operation Rösselsprung and you will propably find more.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Old 6th November 2010, 15:03

Sergio Luis dos Santos

I think there are two different "categories" of sailplane pilots... The ones coming with the troops for an assault my guess they enter in combat with them. Other ones flying with transport units sure will stay with their gliders and return for another mission when possible.
Old 6th November 2010, 15:23

JMSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry hans,
could not resist, being serious, i do believe the british and american glider pilots were also required to fight along side standard troops, so i would asume the germans did the same.
Old 6th November 2010, 20:36

JohnnyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketc47 View Post
John,

Thanks for the brilliant answer.
Unfortunatly it was not the kind of information that I am looking for.

I make out from the information that is provided that the German glider pilots did not use any other kind of transportation. Or maybe some more information pop up. That they used a car that they found on the side of the road with the engine running! Or a bicycle!

Anyway, the part that I am looking for is if the German glider pilots were trained and used as infantry just as the British glider pilots.
Now you´ve brought a perfect example with british gliderpilots. I think that you can compare it. German troops mostly were brought with the glider in areas in which infantry was needed. So - but what speaks against that soldiers drive each vehicle what they can find and what will bring them quickly to their target ? Better to drive than walk and save energy - not only typical for german soldiers in WW2, or ?

Regards

JohnnyB
Old 7th November 2010, 01:35

Empiricist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketc47 View Post
Not the British only -- the US ones as well. The USAAF GPs were trained the same as infantry, what is more many times they were trained like Special Forces, although not a hundred percent of them. And the USAAF glider aircrews fought as typical infantry in Operations Market Garden and Varsity.

Regards
Old 7th November 2010, 02:36
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hello,

You all said "they were trained and used as infantry..." talking about german glider pilots...
So, I suppose John was serious - and perfectly right - when he briefly answered "They walked"! As use to do all infantery men all over the world, don't they? specialy when they are dropped BEHIND enemy lines, No? No trucks, no tanks, no cars waiting for them; if so it wouldn't be "behind enemy lines", hence no use of gliders.

But anyway, the question is interesting, cause you forgot that Luftwaffe used at least three types of gliders and I suppose a pilot of a Me 323 wasn't suppose to walk, after landing, with the infantery, behind the line as did those of DFSxxx and so on...

Cheers, Franck.

Last edited by ouidjat; 7th November 2010 at 02:38. Reason: correction