Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st April 2016, 23:13
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: What is the "Holy Grail" of Luftwaffe Research

For me, I still seek the elusive photograph of Hptm. Walter Rubensdörffer's Bf 110 D-0/B, S9+AB, W. Nr. 3338...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 1st April 2016, 23:15
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Coates View Post
Well, there is at least one collection of photographs owned by an extremely wealthy individual that do not appear destined to see the light of day anytime soon.
Well I wonder what that could be, Steve...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 1st April 2016, 23:29
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

You know, there are still classified documents held by the British and the Americans. For example, I discovered the US Signal Corps had taken photos of abandoned German equipment. The lesser-known American Counter-Intelligence Corps was looking for scientists and technicians after the war. They sometimes worked with the even more mysterious T-Force, a British creation with which the Americans became involved and adopted their practices. T-Force (T for target) was tasked with capturing equipment, personnel, documents, and even if it was nailed down, moving things out of the country to the US and England. And a recent book based on interviews with T-Force veterans clearly says that a good portion of what they found is still classified. T-Force had the authority to go anywhere and take what they wanted, and with an ID that stated they were not to be interfered with by the Military Police.

Ed
Old 2nd April 2016, 02:34

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

In general, the missing 1944 operational loss reports seem to be the consensus "Holy Grail."

However, for me and Manfred Boehme personally, it would be in finding the Messerschmitt research photos. Specifically, for me it would be photos of the Me 262 HG II. For Manfred, it would be photos of the Me 262B-2.

Regards,
Richard
Old 2nd April 2016, 03:45

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

I'd like to find files with the LAST 250 or so Me 262 WN that I havn't yet found.
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:28
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

If the Luftwaffe research extends to Luftwaffe crashsites, there are several airmen still missing in my country, who would remain unearthed and forgotten, frustrating. I (we) need at least 3 lifes and the quest will be closed in the coming years because of lack of witnesses.

I sometimes have been lucky to find out the Graal (or a part of): for instance, (small) remains of a Giant Zeppelin Staaken crashed in August 1918.

I plan to publish my "Bible" in 2019.

ClinA-78
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:02
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

For me, a fuller account of the Arado 240 and the role of the different airframes. Dr. Mankau's work shone much light, but there are still areas uncovered.
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:57

Hans Mcilveen

For me it would be a set of clear photographs of the two Arado Ar 196s in Penang. I have seen one or two but they are of poor quality and not very clear.
A photograph showing the FuG 200 radar setup on the same type in the Baltic sea area in 1945 would not hurt either.
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:15

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbob View Post
One photo that I have been hoping for has recently been found - a Ju 88G-7. Now the pessimists can see that it did exist, and the optimists will hopefully stop mis-identifying a Ju 88G-6. This illustrates that there are still gems out there to be found.
What I want to find amongst my next ebay search is a clear photo of a Bf 109G-6N(Naxos) in opperational use.

.................Oh yes, and a Bf 109H would be nice.
I found these images in an old magazine I have from 1974....not sure if they are what you are after but thought I'd share just in-case they were accurate G7 images. Apologies if they aren't, cheers, MP

Last edited by Mysticpuma; 30th March 2018 at 14:57.
Old 2nd April 2016, 15:04

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

One of my 'Holy Grails' would be to locate and identify the wreckage of Col. Gunther Luetzow Me262. I did see a new report (2015) that claims he crashed into the Danube.

Tony