Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th April 2013, 11:29

Quercus is on a distinguished road
“looking again for relative’s of George Clive Wing”

In my search to the 9 Squadron Lancaster ED347 crash of 20 December 1942, in Den Hout Oosterhout.

Wrote Rob Clive Wing this to me:

> Clive was the 2nd oldest of 4 brothers. Maurice [who passed away 3 years ago at 82] was the youngest, Derek was 2nd youngest and Gordon Hirons Wing was the oldest. Interesting that Gordon flew tail gunner on Sterlings, Wellingtons & B-17's. He formed the Air Gunners Club, that used to meet once a month [in England] years ago. I was fortunate enough to go to one of these pub like meetings and they were great! Ironically, Gordon (Howie) flew over 234 hours, I guess 2 ops. Gordon was on ground control until Clive got shot down and then went into operations as a tail gunner. He made it back safely from all and lived a nice long civilian life. Clive (of course wanted to be a pilot] but there was a long waiting list and they only way he could go to war was as a gunner - mid-upper, I believe. I remember my Grandma telling me she remembers the knock at the door (and Mother's intuition told her bad news) when she was told of Clive's death. The Wing Family address was 167 Percy Rd. Hampton,
> Middlesex England. I actually have both my Uncle Gordon's and Uncle Clive's log books. It seems strange that the last entry was on the Defiant aircraft from Dalcross on 18/09/42. Dates and aircraft do not match up nor does the flight crew names. Perhaps no entries were made after the last noted entry for some reason. Any help/comments are welcome! I visited back in 1974, Clive and his crew's grave in Holland. I am new to posting and hope I am doing this correctly. I am very open and certainly would love to share more information for general audience and of course for Jan's book [if it has not been published by now]. Cheers Rob Clive Wing

Every attempt to come in contact with Rob is unanswered. Is there someone who could bring me in contact again?

Best regards, Jan Jolie