Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 6th June 2005, 19:01

Mikael Olrog is an unknown quantity at this point
SAAF Squadron diaries from time in Kenya

Hello,

I'm looking for SAAF Squadron diaries or other sources of information relating to their activities in Kenya. Especially 12 Squadron SAAF during 1939 to 1942. Would such material be in archives in UK or South Africa? Any suggestions on where I should start to look is much appreciated!

Best wishes
/Mikael
Old 6th June 2005, 20:01
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: SAAF Squadron diaries from time in Kenya

The Squadron Record Books are in both South Africa and the National Archives/PRO in Kew, outside London. At the PRO there are two sets, both on microfilm (the only way you can look at either of them). One set is in Air 27 with all the WW2 ORBs. The other set is in Air 54, which is just the South African ORBs. The set in Air 54 is much more readable than the films in Air 27. Since they are on microfilm you can purchase duplicate copies, assuming you have convenient access to a microfilm reader.

Frank.
Old 7th June 2005, 19:38

Thank you Franek!

I'm going to London in a few weeks time so it will be convenient for me to spend a day or two at PRO. Your help saves me a lot of time since I can ask them to bring out the material in advance.

Best wishes
/Mikael
Old 7th June 2005, 22:06
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Mikael,

Microfilms are in the Microfilm Room, at the opposite end from the Research Room on the Second (for Americans)/First (for Europeans) Floor. When you enter the room, on the right against the wall you will find several trays with blocks labelled A1, A2, etc, D1, D2, etc. These identify the microfilm, or microfiche readers in the room. Choose one, and leave your papers at that machine. Then locate the file cabinet with the microfilms of interest to you, and take the (one) reel you want, replacing it with the block. This makes it easy for you to locate the place to which you are to return the reel when you are done with it.

Thus, it is not necessary (or possible) to order microfilmed materials in advance. First come, first served.

Any microfilm can be purchased from the PRO; but you have to purchase the entire "piece". For example, you cannot purchase a particular month from an ORB (Air 27 or Air 54). You must purchase all the months in that piece (typically 2-3 years for an ORB) (Air 27/1234 for example).

Frank.
Old 8th June 2005, 00:34
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Mikael
Although Franek means just Frank in Polish, it does not mean Frank is me in English (US).
Anyway, if I can add to Frank's comments, I would suggest you to trawl through PRO/NA on line catalogue. I do not know if you are familiar with ORBs but I can imagine you may find them worthy to purchase on microfilm. Thus, I suggest you to check not microfilmed stuff, which is harder to access but still very interesting. In case you will order the microfilm, do not waste time but get through the latter papers.
Staff there is very helpful, so you can always ask there for assistance.
Good luck!
Old 12th June 2005, 20:28

Frank & Franek,

Thank you both for your support. I agree with you that the staff at PRO are very kind and helpfull, something which is very appreciated for a first timer.

This will be my second visit to this hugh archive, but the first for the microfilm archive. I agree with you that buying the film is the more efficient. I usually read them in an archive or library and then scan the sections of interest on my scanner at home, which usually gives even better resolution. The later is good if the handwriting is bad.

/Mikael
Old 6th October 2008, 15:00

Billy Baard is on a distinguished road

Mikael

Are you still active in gathering info on the 12th SAAF Squadron My father Lt. and later Capt. TW Baard was a pilot in East African war from May1940 up to April 1941. See the following Books
"THE WAR OF A 100 DAYS" Page 169
"GATHERING OF THE EAGLES" Page 196

Billy Baard
wpjb@mweb.co.za
Old 7th October 2008, 07:35

stefaan

Hi.
I see you are going to the UK in any case, but the ORBs are available in S Africa at the SANDF Documentation Centre.
Email at SANDFdoc@mweb.co.za.
The chap to speak to is Steve De Agrelo.
It is under the SAAF War Diary section Box 21 - 25.
No microfilm, but they only have the actual documents.
If you want to work fast I suggest you take a tripod and a small digital camera and photograpk all the documents you want and do the work at home.
It saves me hours to do it that way.
Stefaan
Old 9th October 2008, 12:28

Billy Baard is on a distinguished road

Stefaan
I am going to the Documentation centre on the 17/10/08. Sent e mail to Steve.
Do you know if the doc. on the microfilms in the UK are the same as in the doc in the Documentation Centre?

Billy Baard
wpjb@mweb.co.za
Old 9th October 2008, 13:45

stefaan

Other documents were the same, so should be.