Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 22nd December 2012, 22:36
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Adolf's British Holiday Snaps

16 tons of aerial reconnaissance photos found in a barn? Why am I skeptical? Scheduled for April.

http://www.amazon.com/Adolfs-British...reconnaissance

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 22nd December 2012, 23:02
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Adolf's British Holiday Snaps

hmmmm... 16 tons of documents in 1945 and only 209 photos from that? Does seem a little suspect, especially, where have these been for 67 years? Maybe the 16 tons contain the 1944 GMQ returns!
Old 22nd December 2012, 23:08
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaman View Post
hmmmm... 16 tons of documents in 1945 and only 209 photos from that? Does seem a little suspect, especially, where have these been for 67 years? Maybe the 16 tons contain the 1944 GMQ returns!

Exactly, perhaps a few inquiries are in order.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...sector/hmc.htm

Best,
Ed
Old 22nd December 2012, 23:48
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Uh oh................I think you guys have been into the eggnog today. The little blurb on Amazon says they were found in a barn in Bavaria and by July 1945 had been airlifted back to the U.K. The photos were part of the Luftwaffenführungsstab Ic archives and they had been in the barn for less than a month before they were handed over to the OKL Document Recovery Team from the British Air Ministry's A.I. 12 (Post Hostilities) branch. The "snaps" along with 55 tons of Luftwaffenpersonalamt records and 30 tons of other Luftwaffe documents were flown to the Captured Documents Library on Monck Street in London for sorting, cataloguing and reference. All of this material was turned over to the Air Historical Branch in 1948, except for the technical documents which were flown to Wright-Patterson AAF at Dayton, Ohio.

These photos sound very much like the huge hoard of Luftwaffe reconnaissance photos that are now in the possession of Keene University in the U.K. I think the author has just pimped things up to make it all sound much more mysterious than it really is. He wants us to think these are all "never-seen-before" photos so you will buy his book. Sort of like putting lipstick on a pig (thank you, Sarah P.).

L.
Old 23rd December 2012, 00:01
Alter Hase

Interesting Larry, but perhaps a bit harsh. Why not shoot an email to the publisher to get his side?

https://sslrelay.com/fonthillmedia.c...7V&shop_param=

Ed
Old 23rd December 2012, 00:49
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

No need, Ed. His attorney is trying to contact you, John and me now. Something about a defamation suit that will be based on the anticipated £11,492,000 in lost sales revenue from the book.

L.
Old 23rd December 2012, 01:09
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
No need, Ed. His attorney is trying to contact you, John and me now. Something about a defamation suit that will be based on the anticipated £11,492,000 in lost sales revenue from the book.

L.

Oh yes. Of course...... not.

Ed
Old 23rd December 2012, 16:22
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Uh oh................I think you guys have been into the eggnog today.

Naaa, just basic Pinot Grigio!
Old 23rd December 2012, 19:07
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

... and all too full of eggnog (presumably some strange American habit?) to notice that this book was first published several years ago. One of my family bought it because our own fair city was one of the places featured. The format of that edition was too small to do the pictures full justice, I thought.
Old 24th December 2012, 18:11
Alter Hase

Eggnog. Never tried it, never will. But it is a traditional drink for the period around Christmas on this side of the pond.

Ed