Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd August 2005, 06:36
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Horst Petzschler

Hi all

I am wondering if any body would have available the loss information such as subtype, tactical code and werknummer of the aircraft flown by Fahnenjunker-Feldwebel Horst Petzschler on 7 September 1943 with the Stabsstaffel of JG 51 and the three occasions when he was shot down in May 1944, with the first occurring on 12 May and the third on 28 May, while serving with 2./JG 3. Any information concerning these incidents would be greatly appreciated.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 3rd August 2005, 22:34
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road
Re: Horst Petzschler

Hello Leo,

From Lw Loss Report (microfilm 12) Vol.23

On the 23.10.1943 Fw 190A-4 Wnr.7102 of 8/JG51 in Notlandung due to engine trouble, Russland Pl.Qu.92218. 25% damaged. Pilot Ofhr. Horst Petzschler.

A couple of other points regarding Petzschler found in my archive:

No date. Horst Petzschler, Bf 109G-10/AS Wnr.130297 Gelb 5 + 0297 (B/w spinner) JG51. Petzschler flew this a/c to Sweden. (Bf 109 at War) page 92.

Bf 109G-6/AS Wnr.412179 Horst Petzschler 2/JG3 Black 14 +. badge on cowl, B/w spiral. (Fw. Otto Büssow KIA in this a/c on 30.05.44.
(Barbas drawing, IPMS - Deutschland.

Hope this helps Leo.

Horrido!
Old 4th August 2005, 19:40
Alter Hase

Hi Melvin

Thank you very much for taking the time to research the answer to my questions. That was very kind of you and I appreciate your efforts greatly. I am sure that the date that Petzschler flew Bf 109 G-10 "Yellow 5" (W.Nr. 130 297) to Bulltofta in Sweden was 4 May 1945. Originally he was to fly to Schleswig-Holstein but diverted to Sweden due to navigational problems and a damaged fuel tank. I must say that I have been going over his victory list with data from Wood's claims lists and have found one extra victory. He is usually credited with 26 victories but there may be one more or it may most likely be an unconfirmed victory. I wish I could post what I have here but the table results totally distorted. Thank you for your help!

Horrido!

Leo

Last edited by Leo Etgen; 4th August 2005 at 19:42.
Old 5th August 2005, 01:15
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road

Hi Leo,

It is a pleasure to help where I can!
Since re-joining this excellent forum I have really appreciated all the help I have received regarding my own enquires! I thank you also Leo for the possible date for the flight to Sweden, I will add the detail to my archive.

Thanks again,

Melvin

Horrido!
Old 6th August 2005, 15:08

Kuba Plewka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Brownless

Horst Petzschler, Bf 109G-10/AS Wnr.130297 Gelb 5 + 0297 (B/w spinner) JG51. Petzschler flew this a/c to Sweden. (Bf 109 at War) page 92.
that AC was normal Regensburg-built Bf 109 G-10, it's 605 D (not AS) engine is visible on one of photos. Larger oil tank and location of cold-start device's cover identifies D-type engine without doubts.

Aircraft had all feautures typical for a 130 xxx block, a so-called "100-type" cowl, 660x160 main wheels, high tailwheel and extremally typical paintscheme.

Four last serial number digits typical for Mtt. Regensburg practice seen on G-10 / G-14/AS are visible on tail.
AC had it's undercarriage legs painted dark colour, possibly red-brown primer or "winerot" what might suggest DC engine using high octane C3 fuel I think.

There are photos of "Yellow 5" in Closeup - Gustav vol 2 and on the web - http://messerschmitt-bf109.de in G-10 grid.

regards
Kuba Plewka
Old 8th August 2005, 19:24
Alter Hase

Hi guys

Thank you both very much for your replies to my questions. I will say that it is my understanding that all Bf 109 G-10 fighters were powered by the DB 605 D engine and were fitted with MW 50 as standard. However, I have learned that with the Luftwaffe nothing is black and white, especially concerning the Bf 109! Concerning Petzschler's last flight, I have always read that he was a member of 10./JG 51 at the time. However, 10./JG 51 appears to have flown black coded fighters, thus, this appears to have been a 11./JG 51 fighter borrowed for the occasion.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 8th August 2005, 19:34

Erich

Leo :

I will be brief as Horst's last flight will be covered in a future reference. The G-10 that he flew to Sweden was not his and according to another JG 51 pilot "his" was stolen by Horst, leaving this pilot to be captured by the Russians

E ~
Old 9th August 2005, 05:20
Alter Hase

Horst Petzschler

Hi Erich

Thank you very much for that new information. I had never read that before. So it was indeed "borrowed" although not in the sense that I had in mind! I guess that rather than face imprisonment by the Russians he decided to get the heck out of Dodge by any means.

Horrido!

Leo