Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 10th February 2010, 05:37

mars
Re: WWII aces in Syrian Air Force

Bf1-09 vs harvard? Dukovac would have no chance
Old 10th February 2010, 18:27

newcomer is on a distinguished road

I don't know what's the problem with Dukovac religion? It is personal thing, and I think this forum were not proper place for such reaction. About his religious identity take a look for Axis military forum in 2004 by Larry de Zeng and Dukovac relative:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=51359

Kind regards

Newcomer
Old 12th February 2010, 09:11

Maadii is on a distinguished road

Used a fighter jets in 1948. Syrian Air Force was officially established after the first class of pilots graduated from flight schools in Britain. The embryonic force saw limited participation in the Israel war conducting bombing raids against Israeli forces and settlements. The best resource I found to get information about the history is ahistorydirectory.com.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:34

mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadii View Post
Used a fighter jets in 1948. Syrian Air Force was officially established after the first class of pilots graduated from flight schools in Britain. The embryonic force saw limited participation in the Israel war conducting bombing raids against Israeli forces and settlements. The best resource I found to get information about the history is ahistorydirectory.com.
I do not think Syrian Air Force had any "jets" in 1948, even RAF did not have any "fight jets" in the middle east in 1948, all information I have indicated that the only aircrafts Syrian Air Force had at that time is Harvards
Old 15th February 2010, 07:28

@mars
Thanks for the reply. I am agree with you. What was all after 1948, In 1950s Syria and Egypt attempt to unify as the United Arab Republic, this was reflected in the Syrian Air Force with growth in personnel and aircraft. However, this union would not last. With the ascent to power of the Baath Party and Hafez Al-Asad, Syria began looking to the Soviet Union for help and built closer ties with the USSR. This in turn led to a massive influx of Soviet equipment to the Syrian Armed Forces, including the Air Force.
The Syrian Air Force, despite its training and capabilities never fared well against Israel. In the Six-Day War, the Syrian Air Force was defeated rapidly, losing two-thirds of its forces with the rest retreating to bases in remote parts of Syria. This in turn helped the IDF in defeating the Syrian Army on the ground and led to the loss of the Golan Heights. The Yom Kippur War provided initial success for both Syria and Egypt. Though again Israel scored far more casualties in the air than it endured. Following this conflict, the Syrian Air Force continued to remain in the Soviet sphere of influence, whereas Egypt abandoned Soviet aid, and began building its Air Force with American, French, and Chinese equipment. Harvards used in 1948. I didn't understand the meaning. thanks for the information.
Old 15th February 2010, 18:35

mars

AT-6 Harvard is a trainer designed by American, Syria received these aircrafts from French before the war
Old 16th February 2010, 08:45

@mars
Thanks again. Kindly sent me a resource related to this AT-6 Harvard. I love to read all.
Old 25th June 2013, 03:44
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I have only just read this thread. I cannot leave it without making the following addition.
AT-6 Harvard's as far as I am aware were not received from the French before the war ( I assume you refer to the Arab/Israel war of 1948 and not WW2 ?).
The 10 Harvard's were Ex RAF and held South African Civil Registrations, they were I believe:
ZS-DMF ex KF151 (14-1852)
ZS-DMG ex KF732 (14-2433)
ZS-DMH ex RAF KF ??? (14-2502 ?)
ZS-DMI ex RAF KF407 (14-2107)
ZS-DMJ ex RAF KF462 (14-2162)
ZS-DMK ex RAF FT322 (14-1362), 43-13063
ZS-DML ex RAF FT392 (14-1432), 43-13133
ZS-DMM ex RAF KF336 (14-2036)
ZS-DMN ex RAF FS984 (14-1124), 43-12825
ZS-DMO ex RAF KF449 (14-2149)

Alex
a couple of refs: The Harvard File (AirBritain) and www.joebaugher.com