Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 1st November 2014, 16:21
allanklo

Air attack on german radar station in northern Norway

I´m trying to locate information on an aerial attack on a German radar station at Ingoy island in August 1944.

The attack was carried out by British planes during Operation Goodwood, which was the code name for several air attacks against the battleship Tirpitz in August 1944.

The attack on the radar station was done by planes that had not been able to bomb the Tirpitz (due to clouds over target). The were flying over Ingoy island on their way back to the aircraft carriers located off the coast of Finnmark, and some of the planes attacked and destroyed the german radar station there.

The date of the attack is either August 22 or August 24.

I am very interested in finding photographic material or flight logs for the specific attack on the radar station.

1: Have anyone heard of this attack?
2: Is there anyone who can direct me to a possible source for more information?

Kind regards

Allan Klo
Hammerfest, Norway
Old 1st November 2014, 18:19

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Air attack on german radar station in northern Norway

Well Allan I have learnt something new today. I always thought that the code names used for operations were unique and Operation Goodwood was the name of one of battles to breakout South of Caen in July 1944.

But it seems that the Army and the FAA used the same code words. The Wikipaedia entry for "Tirpitz" gives brief details of Operations Goodwood I, II, III and IV carried out by FAA Carrier Groups at the end of August 1944. They provide a bit of starting point...

Steve
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:48

ATCCbengt is on a distinguished road

Hi Allan.

I have copies of some british documents regarding Operation Goodwood. I'll see what I find. No photographs I'm afraid.

Regards,
Bengt.
Old 2nd November 2014, 15:08
allanklo

Thanks, looking forward to your findings Bengt!

In the meantime I´ve found some information that indicates that the attack on Ingoy was carried out by 1840 sqn Hellcats from the aircraft carrier Indefatigable.
This german log (translated to English) confirms the attack. https://archive.org/stream/wardiaryg...e/444/mode/2up (right side, bottom paragraph).

Still, no images though.
Old 2nd November 2014, 19:22

ATCCbengt is on a distinguished road

Have gone through the british documents I've got. The only documents relating to Operation Goodwood is combat reports from the two Seafires that shot down a Blohm und Voss Bv 138 flying boat.
Fighters attacked several targets including Banak airfield and/or Billefjord sea plae base, several radar and W/T stations and fuel tanks.
I do have a document (ADM 207/47) which contains some information about 1840 Naval Air Squadron, but it contains only administrative information. I'll check out some German documents.

Bengt