Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th August 2021, 13:04

BrianC is on a distinguished road
ASR South Coast 1940

Hi guys

Hopefully our experts will be able to enlighten me, please. I am endeavouring to identify mainly aircrew survivors, British and German, of the battles off the South Coast August/September 1940.

Several questions - when a military survivor from an aircraft or naval craft (or merchant vessel) was rescued from the sea and landed in the UK, would he/she was been recorded by the local police or some other authority?

Assuming the said survivor would have been initially hospitalized for medical inspection etc, would there have been a medical record?

In the case of Walrus rescues in the Isle of Wight area - of which there were allegedly up to 60 - surely these flights/rescues would have been logged in the records of Gosport or Lee-on-Solent etc? Were they, and if so, do these records still exist?

We similarly read about ASR He115s operating inshore off the South Coast - is there information/accounts relating to these operations? Which units? Crews?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers, stay safe
Brian
Old 21st August 2021, 11:29
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: ASR South Coast 1940

Brian,
Our Luftwaffe experts can tell more about German ASR operations. I gathered that at least Seenotflugkommando 1, 3 and 4 of the Seenotdienst operated with civilian registered He-59 a/c till the end of July 1940, before being painted in military colours.

Elements of Kü.Fl. Gr. 106 (nr Amsterdam) and 406 (Cherbourg) were also used for ASR in the Channel.

Regards,
Leendert
Old 22nd August 2021, 09:23
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Never seen any list only the occasional mention of people being picked up and if anyone had found anything more it would have been Peter Cornwell (or Andy Saunders for Sussex). Maybe police records exist if they were picked up by a non-military vessel but I doubt it. As to hospital records, they would have been destroyed ages ago. Problem it would be another year before bespoke RAF ASR sqns were formed. As to Luftwaffe, their ASR was established before the war and aircraft of choice were He 59, Do 18, Do 24. Again, no known list and I would suggest this is raised on the Luftwaffe board. By the way, He 115 was more of an offensive recce/torpedo aircraft

Last edited by Chris Goss; 22nd August 2021 at 10:30.
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:29
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brian,

there are many names of rescued German airmen in German navy and Seenotstaffel files.

Regards

Robert
Old 24th August 2021, 20:18

Hi guys

Thanks for the contributions - much appreciated.

Robert - I don't have access to such files. Are you able to provide details, please?

Stay safe
Brian
Old 24th August 2021, 21:49
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Brian,

but I don`t have time now to go after these all details. They are scattered over many war diaries.

Regards

Robert
Old 25th August 2021, 12:14

Hi Robert

Thanks all the same. Perhaps someone else may be able to contribute?

Stay safe
Brian
Old 25th August 2021, 20:20
Alter Hase

I have a few accounts from the German side of being rescued but no comprehensive list by a long way
Old 27th August 2021, 13:04

Hi Chris

May I call upon your generosity once again. please?

You have my e-mail address.

Stay safe
Brian
Old 27th August 2021, 13:31
Alter Hase

Brian: As usual I am busy (finishing Do 217 book) so suggest you email me asking what you are after and I will see if I can help. Again, some of the accounts are in my books of which I know you have copies