Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd October 2005, 02:00

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road
Hauptmann Dr. Albrecht Ochs, JG 3

I'm attempting to locate any items associated with the career of my uncle, Hauptmann (later Major) Dr. Albrecht Ochs, Staffelkapitaen 9. JG 3 during the Battle of Britain. In particular I'm searching for the Ehrenpokal he was awarded in October, 1940. Many thanks,

Vince
Old 15th August 2022, 14:30
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Major Albrecht Ochs

Hello all

There has lately been some activity on the forum regarding pilots that served in both World War I and World War II and among these was Albrecht Ochs who I believed served as a bomber pilot with Bombenstaffel 20 and Bombenstaffel 22 in the first conflict and then with JG 3, JG 51, JG 53 and JG 27 as well as various staff posts before finishing with EJG 1 in the second conflict. He claimed one victory in World War I and four victories in World War II. Are there any details regarding his claim in the Great War? I know it happened on 3 January 1918 with Bombenstaffel 22 but nothing else.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 15th August 2022, 14:41
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough
Re: Hauptmann Dr. Albrecht Ochs, JG 3

PERS 6/175781
Ochs, Albrecht, Dr.
Bestandsbezeichnung
Personalunterlagen von Angehörigen der Reichswehr und Wehrmacht
Geburtsdatum
Amtsbezeichnung/Dienstgrad
Major d.R.
Unterlagenart
Personalakte
Alte Signatur
LP/78656
Benutzungsort
Freiburg
Junker
Old 15th August 2022, 17:59

Hi Leo,

Yes, his victim that day was a Canadian by the name of 2nd Lt. Robert Leighton Moore Ferrie MC, a three-victory Camel pilot of 46 Squadron.
Old 15th August 2022, 20:00
Alter Hase

Major Albrecht Ochs

Hello Vince

Many thanks for the information regarding who your uncle brought down that day. He was a member of a quite exclusive club as the number of pilots that served in both wars and claimed victories in each was very limited indeed.

Horrido!

Leo

Last edited by Leo Etgen; 16th August 2022 at 05:20.
Old 16th August 2022, 01:33

You're welcome Leo. My list of Luftwaffe pilots with fairly ironclad victories in both conflicts is at nine: Dr. Erich Mix, Alexander von Winterfelt, Theodor Osterkamp, Dr. Albrecht Ochs, Alfred Lindenberger, Alfred Helm, Alfred Mueller, Gerhard Hubrich and Friedrich Vollbracht. There are a few others as yet to be added to the list.
Old 16th August 2022, 05:10
Alter Hase

Major Albrecht Ochs

Hi guys

Yes, that list of nine pilots who claimed in both wars is rather the same as I have seen. There were a number of men who recorded victories in World War I and even achieved ace status who later served in the Luftwaffe but did not serve in operational units or claim any victories. It is my understanding that of those nine men, all but Oberst Friedrich Vollbracht achieved ace status eventually.

Horrido!

Leo