Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st November 2021, 12:13
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
"Inspector Bolle" (Luftwaffe Signals) etc.

I'd appreciate help in making sense of an ULTRA signal from January 1945 which mentions Hptm. De Wilde, former Staka of 6.(F)/123:
CX/MSS/R427(C)
13. From LN Regt. RIECH, IA, dated 10/1: Ref: Your telphone call to inspector BOLLE, NAXBURG, in MEHLBEERE:
Heavy Flak mounting 104 is ready to be fetched by transport. It is essential to ring up Hptm. DEWILDE in MAIBAUM (via LANDGRAF) before it is fetched.
At first I though that RIECH was a typo for Reich but conversely it's a name occurring at 108 places in Germany. And if it's an error for Rieck, that's a far more common name. Does anyone know a signals unit with a commander named Riech or Rieck?

"Inspector Bolle" is, I guess a Reg. Insp. in this context but again, has anyone heard of him elsewhere?

Maibaum and Mehlbeere (Maytree and Mountain Ash) are, I would guess, codenames for installations but does anyone know what type were named after trees?

Landgraf is typical of the covernames used by higher command authorities.

Naxburg is either a hill about 25 km SW Fulda, or the hybrid Naxos warning receiver in a Würzburg parabolic dish.
Old 1st November 2021, 17:27
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: "Inspector Bolle" (Luftwaffe Signals) etc.

Nick -

This is Ln.-Rgt. Reich, which was formed on 2 Sep 44 by upgrading and renaming Ln.-Abt. Reich. In January 1945, the Rgtsstab was at Berlin-Nikolassee under Luftflotte Reich and I.(Betr.)/Ln.-Rgt. Reich, with 1.(Betr.), 4.(Funk) u. 7.(Flum.?) Komp., was at Berlin-Wannsee. Abt. II., III. and IV./Ln.-Rgt. Reich were planned but never formed.

de WILDE, Heinz. 01.45 Hptm., Kdr. IV.(Funkstör-)/Ln.-Rgt. 351 (Abt. Stab . at Velbert/SE of Duisburg in Jan 45, but its Kpn. were scattered). His entire career was in the Luftnachrichtentruppe; Funkstör was radio and radar jamming.
GORDACK, Reinhold. Oberst. Ln.-Rgt. Reich Kommandeur in Jan 45.
BÖHM, Franz. Hptm. Kdr. I./Ln.-Rgt. Reich in Jan 45.
BOLLE, no information. Inspekteur was the equivalent of a Leutnant, I think.
MEHLBEERE, may have been on the NW side of Potsdam.
NAXBURG, MAIBAUM and LANDGRAF are all code names or cover names.

See:
A.I.3.(b)/Air Ministry, G.A.F. SIGNALS ORDER OF BATTLE, 1.2.45.
HOFFMANN, Karl Otto. Ln: Die Geschichte der Luftnachrichtentruppe, 3 Bde (Neckargemünd, 1965-73). Band II/Teil 1: Der Flugmelde- und Jägerleitdienst 1939 – 1945, c. 762 pages. Page 327.

That's it from here.

L.
Old 1st November 2021, 17:50
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Inspector Bolle" (Luftwaffe Signals) etc.

Thanks Larry.