Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd August 2022, 10:27

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: Researching the DB605 DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison987 View Post
Yes...but ALL the handbooks and manuals you refer to are the same, and based on ONE engine - the DB601.

Each manual and handbook was just slightly "updated"...as the suffixes changed. Part numbers were carried over, and duplicated.

There were almost NO specific DB605 D parts, so the only manuals that exist are just updated slightly from the 605.

I would suggest you compare the manuals and parts lists you are referring to - you will see little to no difference.
Hi Mike,

Your view that the handbooks and manuals are "the same" is so simplistic that you might equally say they are all just books. A very strange view and, incorrect. Perhaps you mistake the similar format used for the structure of those documents? In which case, you should not bother to look at the DB 603 manuals.
Having said in your previous post "There is no such thing as a DB605 D Handbook (or even a part list)" you are now quoting your knowledge of the DB605D parts lists. Did YOU see the DB 605 D parts list? You say, "There were almost NO specific DB605 D parts", and that would indicate that you have not, or not understood it.
I am sorry, but my most generous view of your expressed comments is, that you are mistaking the DB 605 D for the DB 605 AS. Mind you, the DB 605 AS is itself, considerably different to the DB 605 A. Have you seen the DB 605 AS partslist or does it exist?

SM
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:08
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Schwarze-Man,

I learned a lot from the information you put on this thread.
Am sure that, like me, a great number of LW readers and fans do not have a huge knowledge on engines and variants...so your work will be warmly received. KEEP GOING!
As you put, some times some "doors" do close on our face, but other "doors" do open later...You gonna find what you are looking for! (I wish so!).
A.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
Schwarze-Man,

I learned a lot from the information you put on this thread.
Am sure that, like me, a great number of LW readers and fans do not have a huge knowledge on engines and variants...so your work will be warmly received. KEEP GOING!
As you put, some times some "doors" do close on our face, but other "doors" do open later...You gonna find what you are looking for! (I wish so!).
A.
Thank You Adriano.
I am working to publish much more of the information. However, this is a slow process.
I will say that, there are many difficulties with original late DB605 data, but I have quite a lot!
Cheers

SM
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfürst View Post
Unfortunately no, I am only aware of the (Entwurf) 9-605 DB u. DC. Ausgabe C, 1 Dezember 1944 and the 'Kennzeichen des Baumusters DB605 D 5 Dezember 1944'. I am afraid I have never seen a complete 'Handbuch' or 'Motorenkarte in the manner of those produced for the 605A series.

I know of course of the early DM document referenced in the K-4 Handbuch but have never seen it myself.

There is also a hint from MTTAG record of meeting from 20 December 1944 bei DB-UT, which instructs crews to mark engines set to 1.8 ata with a big white 'B' next to the D letter on the Kurbelgehäuse, and a big white 'C' in case of 1.98ata setting. In case of changing the manifold pressure the markings are to be correspondingly modified. Also some GLC datasheets from show only '605D', next to be both 1.8/1.98 ata power curves.

So I am fairly certain the entire D series is the same engine, which saw some minimal changes, boosts.

Herr Baumgartl has an interesting reference in his book 'Lehrunterlangen für die Baumuster DB 601 E-G u. 605 A-D, Flieger-tech. Schule 3 München 67, T.S. 3-2024a, Teil 1. Baumuster Beschreibung für die DB 601 E-G, DB 605 A-B, AS-BS, AM-ASM, D-E, DM. from DBAG Flugmotoren Bd. 149.' This seems to be a rather complete, common manual for these engines on various technical aspects as he references it a lot.

I can't recommend highly enough getting Herr Baumgartl's book as he has done excellent research. The chapters 34-35 of 50 pages is exclusively dedicated to DB 605D development and improvement of performance, which I am sure you would find highly interesting.
Hi Kurfurst,
Thank you for info. Yes, I have these documents. However, I do not think that I have all of the book by Herr Baumgartl. Is it possible that you can give me a help to get this book or a copy. I would appreciate it if you can!
As regards the versions of the D, DM, DB and DC being the same, there are several changes of components that I know of. However, I can agree the basic versions of those engines produced after July '44 are very similar, although with minor changes.
Cheers

SM