Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 20th November 2006, 09:45
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Black Cross Red Star Vol. 3 - publication news

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsyao View Post
...VVS war time document still not available to public, but I still wish it could be a little more, like Christopher shore, a two way street, first claim from one side, then from other side's account, how many aircraft really lost, and if possiblem what were the causes ?

I wish Christer would not say I am too pigy, because overall, it was an excellent and highly recommand book.
This has been the case since volume 1, it should not come as a great surprise. The main difference has been the publishing value (Eagle Edition's house style), which has upped the price considerably compared to the more mass market volume 2.

BC/RS-series imho brings to the reader Soviet / Russian material that hasn't been available to us before. Unfortunately the bulk of it is made out of quoting or otherwise "refurbishing" already published material. Yes, it is still a step forward, compared to previously available material, but we'll have to wait for the next wave of Russian research to really dig into the Soviet archives. Only then will we get a proper mix and match, based on archival (primary), biographical and secondary sources.

Based on some of the latest Russian aviation publications we may not even have to wait that long.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=6460
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=1297

Just two examples.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 20th November 2006, 09:48
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick de carteret View Post
Amazon.com still showing this message : Availability: This title has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

What's going on???
Looks like Amazon is still waiting for its copies from the publisher. Eagle Editions Ltd. has been shipping for a couple of weeks now.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 21st November 2006, 08:00

Aviaeology1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
Hello Terry,

I just pre-ordered BC+RS at your site. Will you ship both the Dragon... book and this one in one parcel (one shipping fee)?

P.S. Thanks for your kind comments related to my recent book on the Henschel Hs 129...
Hi Dénes,
Your order for both this and our book has shipped today. Thank you kindly! Sadly (for me anyway) I'm still waiting for your newest title to grace my mailbox. I hope I will receive it soon!
Cheers and regards,
Terry
www.aviaeology.com
Old 5th December 2006, 01:03

Adam

I've had my local bookstore chasing this for a while, when I spoke to them yesterday afternoon they said apparently the book has still not been published yet, let alone shipped.

Does anyone actually know what is going?
Old 5th December 2006, 03:18
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

It has been published--I received my copy two weeks ago. If you're going through Amazon or another book dealer,it takes a bit longer to get.

One complaint about the BC/RS books, they're by no means free of errors. There was a thread in the Luftwaffe section about the Nowotny's victor in 1941which stated BC/RS identified the wrong pilot as victor.

Carlos
Old 5th December 2006, 09:33

Adam

thanks for the info. Will get onto the bookstore and find out what they are playing at
Old 5th December 2006, 19:09

judyc

Hi Nick;
Black Cross Red Star #3 has been published and is shipping; however, Amazon has yet to place their order. I have emailed them several times about the availability of this title but they have not responded. Until I have a purchase order number we cannot ship books to them.
Sorry about that, but you could order either direct from us or from any other book seller.
Thanks in advance,
Judy Crandall
Old 5th December 2006, 21:42

nick de carteret is on a distinguished road

Hi Judy... thanks for your reply. Here's what I got from Amazon:-

Quote : Important Message
We thought you should know that we're experiencing a delay with your order. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please take note of the revised shipping and delivery estimates marked in red below.

Shipment #1: Not Yet Shipped

1 of: Black Cross Red Star: The Air War Over the Eastern Front [Hardcover]
By: Christer Bergstrom
$68.95

Shipping estimate: December 5, 2006
Delivery estimate: December 26, 2006 - January 5, 2007

Judy
From your note above, the December 5 shipping date that they have quoted is obviously nonsense as they haven't placed any order with you guys... amazing as I placed my order with them back in October!! Makes you want to pull your hair out at the very least!
Old 7th December 2006, 04:49

nick de carteret is on a distinguished road

Just received this from Amazon.

Quote: Important Messages
We thought you should know that there's a delay with the item(s) listed below. You'll need to approve this delay so that we can continue processing this part of your order. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Delayed items--your approval required
Items Ordered
Black Cross Red Star: The Air War Over the Eastern Front, Christer Bergstrom

Updated Shipping Estimate: February 5, 2007
Updated Delivery Estimate: February 23, 2007 - March 6, 2007
Your approval required by: February 5, 2007

We will still try to dispatch the above item(s) by the approval required by date(s). If this is not possible, and we have not received your approval for the delay by the date(s) listed above, we will cancel this part of your order.

WHAT A FRIGGIN' JOKE!... SILLY ME THINKING THAT AMAZON WOULD PROVIDE A SERIOUS OPTION IN OBTAINING THIS BOOK IN A TIMELY FASHION.
Old 7th December 2006, 18:11

judyc

WHAT?....sigh!, sorry Nick. I have emailed my contact three times and again today. I don't know what their problem is...usually they are easy to work with. Hopefully they will sort it out soon. Is there an alternate bookseller for you? Let me know if I can be of additional assistance.
Judy C at Eagle Editions...