Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th September 2019, 17:53
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Wilhelm and Hermann Staege

Were the above (Uffz Wilhelm 2.J/88 three victories and Ofw Hermann 2.(J)/LG 2 15 victories) related and if so, what became of the former?
Old 12th September 2019, 12:49
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Wilhelm and Hermann Staege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Were the above (Uffz Wilhelm 2.J/88 three victories and Ofw Hermann 2.(J)/LG 2 15 victories) related and if so, what became of the former?
Chris

At least Johannes Mathews seems to be convinced they were one and the same person (he does not mention the given name Wilhelm at all)

Hermann went on to 2./JG 77 and 11./JG 2 when he was killed 22.1.1943 during a bombing of his airfield outside Tunis.

It's been a while since I saw Johannes online here, so perhaps you should send him a PM asking how he made the connection?

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th September 2019, 13:24
Alter Hase

Stig: I suspected as much. Johannes pops up occasionally and I am sure he will see this
Old 12th September 2019, 15:03
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi Chris and Stig

I remember this guy by name, but cannot remember why I surmised it was one pilot not two, but I would have had good reason at the time. This is one reason that I collect every scrap of information about each pilot, I was able to connect many a profile to another to make two claimants into one, and am never happy until I have a Date of Birth/Death for a pilot.

But we all make mistakes, which by duplication "become fact".

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 14th September 2019, 23:26

Kapper is on a distinguished road

All,

It’s not definitive but here is a possibility.

There were an Uffz Staege as well as an Uffz Stange that served in the Legion Condor’s 2./J88 at the same time, both made 3 claims in the SCW and both actually made their first claim on 30 November 1937. The Books on the SCW that I’ve seen state that they are Uffz Wilhelm Staege and Uffz Hermann Stange but I’ve found no further information on either of these 2 pilots.

However, we have the following 2 pilots in WWII
- Oblt Willy (Wilhelm) Stange 3 & 8./JG 3 12 claims WWII KIA 22.06.41
- Ofw Hermann Staege, 2.(J)/LG 2, 2./JG 77, 11./JG 2 & II./JG 53 18 claims WWII KIA 22.01.43
I thought I had something about one of these being awarded the Spanish Cross but the details are not in my notes – so not definitive.

Anyway, I believe it’s a mix up of first names for the 2 pilots in the SCW for these 2 pilots of WWII. Possibly mixed up in an earlier work on the Legion Condor and carried through in later publications.

Regards,

Craig…
Old 15th September 2019, 11:04
Alter Hase

Craig: This appears to be a convincing assumption