Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 26th November 2007, 12:46

Stein Meum
Re: Now available: Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and all that

Somewhat different but still on topic: The early P-40's received by the AVG were originally ordered by the British Purchasing Commission. These planes were finished to British specifications with British radio, Sutton harness, etc. This means that the control sticks should have been the "spade-grip" type as on Spits and Hurricanes. Apart from a statement by a Norwegian pilot who flew Tomahawks in Africa, I have no absolute proof that these planes were equipped with this type of stick or with the American "pistol grip" type. Anybody out there who confirm this?

Stein
Old 26th November 2007, 13:47
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

I think all these things are pretty well confused, but I believe it would be fairly easy to exchange the grip.
Old 19th January 2008, 22:49

rldunn is on a distinguished road

Stein

You say these a/c (P-40s) were "finished" to British specifications. Not so. They were ordered to British specifications but when the contract was transferred to the Chinese Curtiss used left over parts for various elements including the engines. Radios were not included and later commercial radios were supplied. The AVG Tomahawks were of the rara avis variety and cannot be pegged to an RAF or USAAF designation. I believe there are photos showing the normal US-style stick.

History is not always as neat as might appear from book. Be careful with conclusions based on such sources.

RLD