Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st September 2022, 18:26

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
Soviet ships sunk by the Luftwaffe

In making a post on the axishistoryforum.com Soviet Union 1917-1945 section about Soviet ship losses in WW II for the database of ships sunk by the Luftwaffe I was directed to :
www.navy.su/other/lost/index.htm which is in Russian which my computor can translate into English. There is a slight problem with some ships you get the English translation of the Russian name like the destroyer Bistry as Fast.

I hope this is of some use .

I also made some questions about Luftwaffe attacks mentioned on the data base Here are some of the replies:

30 Oct 41 III/StG 77 Noupatoria 2 ships sunk reply say could be the merchant ship Uralles reported sunk off Evpatoria on 29 Oct 41 and the guard boat SKA-045 sunk on 31 Oct 41 off Ak-Mechet

30 Oct 41 III/KG 55 Kerch 2 ships sunk and 2 damaged reply no ships sunk

15 Jan 43 4(F)/122 Gelendshik R-boot sunk reply Gelendshik bombed but no ships sunk

1 mar 44 Kerch straits 5 boats destroyed reply no known losses could be really small boats

I would also like to point out in the above list it has a number of Soviet ships sunk by mines which were most likely dropped by German aircraft.

Also in my research on Soviet ship losses there are conflicting accounts

2 Aug 42 the Soviet Cruiser Molotov was damaged by a torpedo hit the German and Russian accounts say the ship was attacked by Italian MASs and there torpedos missed and the ship was hit by 6/KG 26. The italians say the Molotov was hit by a MAS torpedo see Warship 2009 for the accounts.
Old 21st September 2022, 18:35
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Soviet ships sunk by the Luftwaffe

You may be interested in getting this.

https://www.usni.org/press/books/war...eets-1939-1945
Old 21st September 2022, 19:22
Alter Hase

HGabor has a spectacular aura aboutHGabor has a spectacular aura about

There is a Soviet ship (Бронекатер БК-244, or BK-244 of the Soviet Danube Flotilla) in the middle of the Danube at Medve (near Győr) at the Hungarian-Slovakian border. The ship ran on a(n aerial?) mine on April 3, 1945 and sank with 8 casualties. The top of the wreck became visible for a short period of time at very low water level a few months ago. (This mine could be dropped by RAF/SAAF Wellington Xs/Liberators still in 1944 as well.)

See pic:
https://i.postimg.cc/hGC3py0c/BK-244-in-Danube.jpg

Gabor
Old 24th September 2022, 13:25

Martin388 is on a distinguished road

I recall that in mid 1943 there was a kind of SonderKdo (Kertsch?) deployed to the Crima pensinsula with some Ju88A with Funkmessgeräte (like FuG200) for hunting soviet ships by day and night and working together with Axis naval forces.
Old 26th September 2022, 11:37

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road

Hello Martin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin388 View Post
I recall that in mid 1943 there was a kind of SonderKdo (Kertsch?) deployed to the Crima pensinsula with some Ju88A with Funkmessgeräte (like FuG200)
Kommando Götz. Then these planes operated in other units - 4.(F)/122, then Küsta Krim, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin388 View Post
for hunting soviet ships by day and night and working together with Axis naval forces.
It was a night story only.

I wrote an article about the use of FuG213 Lichtenstein and later FuG200 Hohentwiel on the Black Sea. I hope it will be published in the foreseeable future.
Germans had some interesting ideas about the interaction of surface target acquisition radar aircraft with Schnellboote and U-Boote. But their implementation encountered a number of problems, and the results didn't meet expectations.
Successes in antisubmarine warfare were even more modest.
As a means of night recce, they brought benefits in general, but due to large navigational errors in some cases they hindered the U-Boote or S-Boote rather than helped.

These conclusions relate only to the Black Sea.

Best regards,
Andrey
Old 11th October 2022, 18:17

On the Soviet Merchant ship Abkhazia sunk in the Black Sea on 10 June 1942 by Lt Herbert Klein of I/KG 100. Warship 2009 article on Italian Fast Costal Forces has the ship being torpedoed and damaged the night before by the MAS 571. The War Diary Admiral Black Sea seems to think this happened. Chronik Des Seekrieg 1939-1945 has the ship being attacked by the MAS 573.

Fast Coastal Forces also has the MAS 527 sinking the Soviet Gunboat Bira 15 August 1942 on Lake Lagoda. The source on Soviet losses and Chronik both have the ship being sunk in the Baltic by a mine on 26 Aug 1942

Another Italain
Old 11th October 2022, 21:14

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road

Hello James,

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
On the Soviet Merchant ship Abkhazia sunk in the Black Sea on 10 June 1942 by Lt Herbert Klein of I/KG 100. Warship 2009 article on Italian Fast Costal Forces has the ship being torpedoed and damaged the night before by the MAS 571. The War Diary Admiral Black Sea seems to think this happened. Chronik Des Seekrieg 1939-1945 has the ship being attacked by the MAS 573
"Abkhazia" was sunk by a bomb in Sevastopol at 9:55 msk 10.Jun.42 and wasn't torpedoed during previous night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
Fast Coastal Forces also has the MAS 527 sinking the Soviet Gunboat Bira 15 August 1942 on Lake Lagoda. The source on Soviet losses and Chronik both have the ship being sunk in the Baltic by a mine on 26 Aug 1942
Gunboats "Nora", "Selemdzha" and 3 MO-boats reported an engagement with a motor boat, no damages, but "Selemdzha" had 1 man wounded by MG fire. "Bira" wasn't at sea that night.

Best regards,
Andrey
Old 12th October 2022, 18:45

Thanks Andrey I will try and read your article on radar in the Black Sea when it comes out.

typo the Bira was sunk by a mine on 23 Aug 42 no 26 Aug.
Old 18th October 2022, 14:54
Alter Hase

Evgeny Velichko is on a distinguished road

Gents, for You.
Stalingrad ships
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/71R5CR_KQYsZQg
Old 20th October 2022, 20:57

Thanks Evgeny.

The above lost list has some Soviet ships sunk in the Caspian Sea by German aircraft. Not mentioned in BCRS vol 3 (MK I)

26 Oct 42 tanker America and merchant vessel Drunker at Astrakhan

29 Oct 42 Shalanda No 21 in the Volga-Caspain Canal

30 Oct 42 tanker Comintern off Astrakhan

15 Nov 42 tanker Kilbekov off Astrakhan

Any ideas what units probably Ju-88s or He-111s