Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th June 2006, 12:56

Roundway is on a distinguished road
War Diaries for Luftwaffe units in Mediterranean

I am trying to discover the fate of a 608 Squadron Hudson, FK711, that failed to return from an anti-submarine patrol after taking off from Bone, Algeria, on 13 July 1943.

None of the War Diaries of U-Boats in the area record any actions on the date in question which leaves three possibilities. The aircraft either suffered a mechanical failure, flew into the sea or, alternatively, was shot down by an Axis aircraft. Unfortunately there is no clue as no signals were received from the aircraft after it left Bone.

If the loss was due to enemy action it should be recorded in the appropriate war diaries/operations books, and I wonder if anyone could either advise me how to obtain access or, even better, tell me if any actions were recorded that day.

A tall order I appreciate, but any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Brian
Old 29th June 2006, 14:55

Adam
Re: War Diaries for Luftwaffe units in Mediterranean

My data is incomplete for the region but I have no claims for an Anson on that day. The only two engine claim I have is a B-25 near Marsala..
Old 29th June 2006, 17:50

Thank you Adam. My search is for a Hudson, not an Anson, so your response is interesting. Unfortunately I do not know the area the Hudson was supposed to be patrolling, but Marsala is not that far from Bone and there are similarities between the Hudson and B25 which could have led to a mis-identification in the heat of battle or hazy weather.

Could I ask if the B25 a confirmed Allied loss, or is it a claim taken from a Luftwaffe war diary?

Brian
Old 30th June 2006, 03:44

Adam

Sorry, not sure where I got Anson from... Brain fade I suppose.

The claim for the Hudson was filed by Fw. Helmut Baumann of 5./JG 51. It was for a Mitchel bomber 15 Km E. of Marsala flying at 3,500 metres. Kill claimed for combat at 0935hours

After that, I'm afraid I can't help you with anything

regards

Adam
Old 30th June 2006, 05:03
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously the same plane. Both the B-25 and the Hudson had twin tails and Luftwaffe identification was sometimes "iffy"
Old 30th June 2006, 10:19

My thanks gentlemen. Mis-identification had been my hope as well Kaki, but unfortunately the time rules it out. Had it been 2135 instead of 0935 it would have been a definite possibility, but 'my' Hudson left Bone at 1800 hours, so it looks as though I can definitely rule out enemy action as the cause of its disappearance.

Brian
Old 30th June 2006, 10:25
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaki3152
Obviously the same plane. Both the B-25 and the Hudson had twin tails and Luftwaffe identification was sometimes "iffy"
Given the level of aerial activity in the area, I won't get so fast to this conclusion. It may well be an US B-25 flying over Sicily, or any other medium bomber involved in supporting the invasion of the Island.

The B-25 41-30458 was lost this day (MACR 305) but the unit or place is unknown to me.

Also if 608 Sqn was tasked with providing ASW patrol around Sicily, it would be logical to have been based in Tunisia rather than in Bone. And 3500 m is an odd alt for an ASW patrol plane.

My guess is that the AC was lost in an accident off Algeria. Its probable patrol area was off this country to cover passing convoys. Maybe the unit's ORB will at least give the mission of the missing crew, or the starting hour, that may be incoherent with the hour of the claim above.
Old 30th June 2006, 13:17

Thank you Laurent. Hopefully you will have seen from my previous post that I've now discounted the possibility.

My problem is that both the 608 and Bone ORBs are singularily unhelpful in respect of this particular aircraft, FK711. Although 608 Squadron was based at Blida a number of its aircraft operated from Bone, and FK711 was one. The 608 ORB simply records the flight as 'U/B hunt', and in the 'Details' section 'This aircraft failed to return'. The take off time was 1800 hours. Other aircraft are listed as flying U/B hunts on other days but in no instance is the area of operation given.

I know from other sources FK711 did not engage a Uboat, and if no Axis aircraft claims a Hudson (or similar type) then I am left with either a mechanical failure (which would probably have allowed time for an SOS transmission), a weather related problem or the aircraft descending too low and flying into the sea. The second is a possibility as I know from the Bone weather diary there could have been thunderstorms in the general area, but it is no more than that - a possibility.

One of the war's unsolved mysteries I'm afraid.

Brian