Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 16th September 2007, 18:28

Gianandrea Bussi is on a distinguished road
german aircraft crashed on 24 february 1939

According an italian document on this date a german aircraft went missing on the route Pollensa-Milano. Amongst the people on board there was ten. Oscar Bertotti, former italian liaison officer with Legione Condor.
Does anyone has got any detail about the aircraft? Could have she been Ju.52 D-ALUS, crashed at Roubion killing ten people (source: The Hugo Junkers homepage)?

Thank you

Gianandrea
Old 18th September 2007, 19:21

fran
Re: german aircraft crashed on 24 february 1939

Hello,
Pollensa is in Mallorca island so they did not have to overflew the french mountains near Roubillon and they were not missing since the remains were found after crash.
There was another incident involving a Ju-52 when in in route Seville-Rome dissapeared over sea but was on 30th April 1937.
In what date did act SottoTen.Oscar Bertocci as liasion officer? Could be that at the time of D-ALUS crash the liaison officer were Ten.Arnaldo Brezzi?

Regards
Francisco
Old 19th September 2007, 17:19

Gianandrea Bussi is on a distinguished road

The document I've found was written before the (eventual: I still don't know whether D-ALUS was the aircraft involved in the crash happened on that day) finding of the aircraft.

According to the source quoted in my previous message, D-ALUS crashed at Roubion (not Roubillon): Roubion is just on the most direct route between Pollensa and Milan.

I don't know whether Ten. Brezzi was liaison officer at the time of the Bertocci's death. Because Bertocci was coming back to Italy after having accomplished his service in Spain, I may assume that he was liaison officer till some days before the date of the crash.

Anyway, do you know the identity of the aircraft missing/crashed on 24 february 1939? Was she D-ALUS?

Best regards

Gianandrea
Old 18th November 2007, 17:43

Tony Jones

Hi

D-ALUS was the a/c that crashed at Roubion on 24/2/39, 25 miles west of Nice, 4 crew and 6 passengers killed.
Was on route Palma-Genoa

Tony