Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th November 2013, 02:14
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking Photos of White Stab markings on Bf109Ds and Es during 1939-40

Hello,

Recently I requested any information on Bf109D-1s of Stab III./ZG26 during 1939 for tEoE profile artwork packages. This unit was renamed Stab I./JGr126 during Sept, 1939. I got no responses, and my network of contacts has drawn a blank. However, a photo of a 1938 photo of an Ar68 of this unit provided recently by Franck shows a white Stab marking (Adj chevron) with a thin white outline. This makes me think that the photos I'm looking for show Bf-109D-1s with white Stab markings, and which are probably in people's unidentified or misc. files. The key to identifying these besides white Stab markings is that these should have a white III Gr vertical bar, thinly outlined in black, on the fuselage behind the fuselage cross. Can anyone either provide scans or point me to a source for such photos?

Further, I'm still looking for photos of I./JG21 Stab a/c during the first six months of 1940, using Bf109Es in early 1940-camouflage and carrying white Stab markings. This unit became III./JG54 from July, 1940, and I'm still searching for additional photo references from this period. In addition to white Stab markings, these a/c would all carry anywhere from a light to a heavy mottle over the fuselage sides, and usually yellow cowlings or tails.

I know that some other units used white Stab markings during 1940, but this is what I'm looking for right now.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 15th November 2013, 07:29

sidney is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking Photos of White Stab markings on Bf109Ds and Es during 1939-40

Larry,

a low-resolution scan of the only photo that I have ever come across of the I./JG21 Stab a/c during the first six months of 1940, using Bf109Es in early 1940-camouflage is attached for your ready reference. Unfortunately, the Stab markings are not visible. The photo was taken from a Raumbild-Verlag Otto Schönstein book Fliegen und Siegen, which can apparently be procured here http://www.usmbooks.com/raumbild_luftwaffe.html . I happen to have this photo in original if you need a good quality scan.

As for the Stab III./JG54 aircraft a nice example can be found on David Weiss' excellent website here http://www.messerschmitt-bf109.de/ . Should be able to send you a direct link via e-mail.

Regards,
Sinisa

Last edited by sidney; 16th October 2015 at 12:07.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:05
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Sinisa,

Thanx for going to the trouble to post these. I have a high res photo of the first one, which we presently think was taken in early 1941, not 1940. The second photo shows a shot down a/c from the Gruppenstab of III./JG54 that was shot down in England on 12.08.40 with Oblt. Albrecht Dress piloting. I also have a high res copy of this one from the original source, and we've already turned this into an EoE color profile.

Still looking for additional photos of Stab a/c from this unit. Our profile specs require seven from this unit from 09.39 through 12.40, so it takes a number of reference a/c to accomplish this.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 15th November 2013, 09:56

sidney is on a distinguished road

Larry,

I was so convinced that the photo can be dated to the spring 1940 that I did not pay attention to the apparent fact that the propeller hub is capped, which would indicate the Bf109E-7 model, and early 1941, as suggested.

Soon thereafter, during the campaign in the Balkans, the emblem could be seen in more or less usual 300 x 250 mm size and positioned beneath the aircraft windscreen.

Sorry about that.

Regards,
Sinisa
Old 15th November 2013, 13:30

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Larry

Not sure if this fuzzy small and far away shot, from my 'unknown file' finds the target.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by ChrisS; 13th July 2015 at 23:38.