Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th March 2017, 05:15

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road
Bücker Bü 181 Canopy

Dear all,
I somehow always imagined that the canopy on all of the Bücker Bü 181 aircraft canopy opens in a "Car Door" style with both port & starboard sides opening towards the nose.

Sir Bob just shared the ebay links and among them there was THIS PHOTO showing the aircraft with the canopy hinged sideways!

Did I miss a class in school

BTW Which are the best books about the type? I have only one and I've just finished the model in 1/48 in Swiss markings (weathering to be done after I move to new apartment) and I also received two more kits to be done in Croatian & Luftwaffe markings.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: I know that it is against copyright laws to post images for which we don't have permission & usage rights but I wonder if it is ok to post both the link to auction & link from the auction in order to keep the discussion and topic relevant for later times when the ebay removes the photo from the link. I have stumbled on many interesting discussions from few years ago that I would love to understand better but the lack of the photo on the given ebay link permits so.

Thanks you
Milos
Old 28th March 2017, 10:44

RolandF is on a distinguished road
Re: Bücker Bü 181 Canopy

This is no Bü 181 but a different type.
Old 28th March 2017, 12:27
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

To me it looks very much like a Saiman 202

Large numbers were built in Italy before/during the war and was used for mostly communication and liasion flights.

Some are known to have been 'captured' by the Germans when Italy switched side in 1943.

Cheers
Stig
Old 28th March 2017, 12:28
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

its a Saiman 202 ( Società Industrie Meccaniche Aeronautiche Navali) and the English had it as well. 111 machines in Luftwaffe service
Old 28th March 2017, 19:13

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

I see! That explains the different looking gear legs!
Thanks for the clarification guys!
Old 28th March 2017, 21:14
Alter Hase

gilles collaveri is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Bücker Bü 181 Canopy

May I take the opportunity of this post to ask you to identify the type of aircraft (not the pinup ) of this picture ?

GC

Last edited by gilles collaveri; 13th July 2017 at 15:15.