Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th October 2010, 19:27

Julian is on a distinguished road
Martin Drewes of 111/NJG1

Hi all Im currently starting some research for a possible publication, and need some information, and was wondering if there are any Martin Drewes experten out there who might be so kind as to help me
(1) On the night of 12th -13th May 1944 when he shot down Halifax LW682 does anyone know if Martin Drewes was flying Bf 110 G-4 coded G9+MD or G9+WD?

(2) On this night was the crew
Hptmn M. Drewes,
Bordfunker Handke
Bordschutze Petz.

(3) Again on this night were Drewes and his crew based at Venlo in Holland.

(4) Drewes SchrageMuzik installation differed from conventional ones by being placed immediately behind him....does anyone know if Drewes favoured a particular ammunition loading sequence.....some sources state nightfighter crews had reduced or no tracer elements for SchrageMuzik and yet some RAF sources initially stated "Columns of vertical fire" had clearly been seen below RAF bombers.? At this stage Im only assuming Drewes and his crew used Schragemuzik for this combat, it may have been a conventional method of attack from the rear...

(5) Is there a 111/NJG1 Combat Report still in existence or excerpts from a Flugbuch for the incident involving the demise of Halifax LW682?

(6) Was this Drewes only claim/ victory on that night?

Im trying to create a factual account of this combat and clearly illustrate my ignorance of certain issues by the above questions, but would appreciate any help that may be given...
thanking you in anticipation
Julian Evan-Hart
Old 20th October 2010, 01:06

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Re: Martin Drewes of 111/NJG1

I´m not an expert but a nice book written by Drewes is available at Adler Editora ( in Portuguese only )

http://www.adler-books.com.br/livros...rasdanoite.htm
Old 20th October 2010, 10:42

Wim

Hello Julian,

Have a look at this website: http://users.telenet.be/airwareurope/en/start_e.htm

Under recoveries you will find some more information about LW682.

The complete story of the attack and recovery was already published in "Doelwit: Leuven": http://www.allbookstores.com/Doelwit.../9789072547613

Regards,

Wim
Old 20th October 2010, 22:57

schnellmeyer is on a distinguished road

In 1993 I had the pleasure of meeting Martin Drewes in Austria at a veterans reunion . Martin is still alive and I am sure would gladly answer your question Julian , PM me and I will give you his contact details .
Old 21st October 2010, 01:30

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellmeyer View Post
In 1993 I had the pleasure of meeting Martin Drewes in Austria at a veterans reunion . Martin is still alive and I am sure would gladly answer your question Julian , PM me and I will give you his contact details .
Martin lost his wife a few days ago. I don´t know how he´s going after this sad loss. Anyway he´s expected to attend a modelling contest next month.
Old 21st October 2010, 02:16

I am sorry to hear about Martin's loss .I was in Germany last week and got a magazine that featured Martin and his wife at their home in Brazil , it was a very interessting article about his time in the Luftwaffe. Sadly with the passing of time these people are getting less and less.
Old 21st October 2010, 07:01

Location: I reside to Bourg-Fidèle in french Ardennes to 7 km of the Belgium border
fliegerfreund is on a distinguished road

Hi Group,
The simplest is to ask the person concerned. I spoke to him yesterday, Oct. 20, when his birthday and I'm sure he would answer questions.
Yours.
Michel
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:47

Julian is on a distinguished road

Dear Schnellmeyer, Fliegerfreund, Sergio and Wim , thank you all for your most helpful comments. For researchers like me its so vital to have helpful comments from people....and helps to make the true picture. I try to write books or parts of books for others with passion, flair, true history and evidence...recording local and international history before some of it is lost forever. Scnellmeyer I have PM`d you. This forum is the leading one as far as Im concerned for researchers, people here are so friendly and helpful. I express my thanks to you all...and if ever you think I may be able to assist you in any aviation based research (I live in UK) then please dont hesitate to ask.
I have a passion for all things aviation and am proud to say I organised the world`s first ever archaeological excavation of a crashed Zeppelin (L48) in Suffolk....in 2006....so you see Im not always World War Two orientated.......although mostly!!!!.
Regards.....Julian
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:28

retje is on a distinguished road

Hello Julian,

Quote:
(6) Was this Drewes only claim/ victory on that night?
Martin Drewes and crew had on the 13th May 1944 three victory's: at 00.44, 00.49 and 01.09 hrs. This three victory's are recognized and documented by the German Abschusskommission at 29.8.1944.

regards,

René Brachten

Last edited by retje; 23rd October 2010 at 17:39.
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:20

Hello Julian , thanks for your kind comments . I got your PM , I will send you this information tomorrow . Please feel free to PM me if you need more information .