Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd October 2014, 02:37
Sara F

Luftwaffe records June 1944 -- seeking help

Does anyone on this forum have advice as to how I can find Luftwaffe records for June 1944? My father was a Mosquito navigator/radar operator with RAF Squadron 264. On June 24th at 23:00, 10 miles north of Le Havre, his plane encountered 5 FW 190s. They destroyed one, and possibly a second. My father is now 91 years old. He would like to apologize to the German airmen and their families. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Old 23rd October 2014, 15:05
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe records June 1944 -- seeking help

Dear Sara

I assume your father flew that night with Squadron Leader Elwell and that in fact it was the night 23/24.6.1944 (at least that is what my sources says)
What your father intercepted that night was most probably a nightly fighter bomber attack made by fast German fighter-bombers and possibly the specific German unit SKG 10. However author Chris Goss does not list any specific losses that night so I can't help you any further.

However I find it terrible that your father has not come to terms with what happened to him and the effects of war. Whatever the outcome that night I don't feel your father owes anyone any apology. On the contrary I (among all those who could grow up in a democratic post war Europe) owe him and everyone else who ensured such a victory our heartful and greatful thanks for being there and doing what they did to secure our future.

Next time you see him, give him my thanks because I partly owe him my life, which has been a good one. I also believe I share these sentiments with most members of this board who were lucky enough to end up at the right side of the Iron Curtain.

Best wishes from
Stig Jarlevik, Sweden
Old 23rd October 2014, 19:17
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Sara
I have the combat as 24/25 June. FW 190 destroyed 2315 10 miles north of Le Havre and a probable north of Le Havre at the same time. The FW 190 unit I/SKG 10 was active that night but lost just one aircraft to Flak near Bayeux. In any case, being north of Le Havre would indicate they were after ships which was not their modus operandii. It is possible that they were on night fighter patrols but there were no claims/losses. What puzzles me is he noted 5 FW 190s-at night, they would fly individually. There were no losses or claims for single-engined German night fighters so I am at a loss as to what they intercepted
Old 23rd October 2014, 19:40
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that they were fighter parts of Mistel having dropped their lower parts ?
Old 23rd October 2014, 23:18
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Fliegerkorps IX intentions on both 23/24 and 24/25 June included I./SKG 10 attacking shipping. I don't have anything on results or losses though.

Also there was a Mistel operation on 24/25 June.
Old 24th October 2014, 08:16
Alter Hase

Interesting Nick-I need to check. However it would be 2 years since they carried out massed (5 ac) attacks on shipping. Still no losses logged
Old 24th October 2014, 17:10
Alter Hase

Nicks was right & I was wrong-senior moment. They attacked ships 14-15 Jun, 24-25 Jun, 27-28 Jun, 29-30 Jun, 2-3 Jul, 3-4 Jul, 4-5 Jul. Still no losses 24-25 Jun so maybe the German ac got away which would be good news for Sara's father
Old 25th October 2014, 01:03
Sara F

I talked with my father today and he said that he has always wondered if the FW 190s were going to or returning from a mission -- he always assumed it was the latter.
He was most interested to learn about the Mistel operations. He said that he did not notice anything unusual about the planes (presumably they would have looked quite different with a drone on top).
I am attempting to insert a scan from his log book of his record of the incident:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11467...00600877604897

Not sure if it will work -- if not, any advice on inserting images would be most welcome.

Many thanks for the replies. Of all my father's war experiences, I think this is one that has haunted him the most. I very much appreciate the response to my query.
Sara

Tags
264 squadron, fw 190s, june 1944, mosquitos