Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 30th March 2007, 11:57

Jon
Sgt Bann's Battle of Britain 238 Squadron

Hello all,
Sorry for posting this again but i last placed it almost three years ago and although i got some responses none had the answer. Many new members have joined since then and more information will have been made available so i am hoping someone may now know.

This is the one main query i am desperate to get a result on so any information more than welcome.

On page 352 on The Battle of Britain Then and Now there is a letter from Sgt Eric Bann of 238 Squadron. It looks to be dated before August 7th and after Mid July 1940 and only states it was written on a Friday !!
Sgt Bann says he took off with the C/O and two other pilots and engaged some bombers over the sea. He says quite clearly that he was shot down into the sea and after a long swim was picked up and landed at Portsmouth.
I can find no record of this incident at all.
Who shot him down ? what Hurricane was he flying ? date etc.....
All help appreciated.

Thanks
Jon
Old 30th March 2007, 14:32
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sgt Bann's Battle of Britain 238 Squadron

Hello ,

Fighter Command losses give the following information :

28-09-1940
238 Sqdn
Hurricane Mk I
V6776
Sgt SE Bann
Killed
Bailed out near Farham

Alain
Belgium
Old 30th March 2007, 14:36
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road

Hello ,

Here somemore info :
BANN, SAMUEL ERICInitials:S ENationality:United KingdomRank:Sergeant (Pilot)Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force Volunteer ReserveUnit Text:238 Sqdn.Age:26Date of Death:28/09/1940Service No:741589Additional information:Son of Samuel and Credence Bann, of Macclesfield, husband of Agnes May Bann (nee Buttler), of Birmingham.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Plot A. Grave 938.Cemetery:MACCLESFIELD CEMETERY

Alain
Belgium
Old 30th March 2007, 16:41

Jon

Thanks for the posts Alain, do you have any details on his apparant shoot down into the sea before 7th August 1940?
Old 30th March 2007, 16:43
dora9forever

Smile Re: Sgt Bann's Battle of Britain 238 Squadron

hi,jon eeles. sgt eric bann,must have been shot down in mid august,.the book bofb then and now is at error at times as ive been after info too, like you,luftwaffe,??,ive read also this story before, in a book .which i dont own about 20 years ago, he swam some 10 miles to coast,..if i find info ill post it,
gary
Old 31st March 2007, 12:02

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

It has been put to me that my silence on this question is deafening so let me confirm that, of course, I looked into this question when we decided to publish Erich Bann's letter in The Battle of Britain Then & Now in 1980.

In short, I got nowhere with my searches at that time & haven't re-examined it since. But remember that 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence', so good luck with it ! I will be delighted to learn the actual facts of the matter as and when they may come to light.
Old 31st March 2007, 12:11

Jon

Hi Peter,

I look after Sgt Banns grave and through this have become great friends with his brother who, i understand let you use the letters in The Battle of Britain Then and Now.
As you will be aware Sgt Banns letters indicate he saw some action over France or at least Dunkirk before joining 238 Squadron yet his service records do not agree. Sadly although 238 Squadron were in action/active area for longer than any other Hurricane unit the information and pictures are very rare.
Maurice his brother is now sadly on his last legs and i am trying to answer the many questions he has about his brother, though as he puts it "shortly i will be able to ask him myself" The Battle of Britain Then and Now/ Blitz series by the way are my Bible..picked up almost every day for one reason or another....What about another latest edition...new findings, relics, pictures.... Go on Peter.
Old 31st March 2007, 17:31

Hello Jon,

I'm not sure I would have the necessary energy for an update once I've completed my current project, The Battle of France Remembered, the text of which is due to be 'put to bed' by June this year.

But pleased to hear that you are still enjoying the earlier works.
Old 31st March 2007, 18:02

Jon

Fantastic. Room on my shelf for that one also.
When is is due to be released ?
Old 31st March 2007, 20:29

Jon,

Should go to print in November - watch this space.