Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th January 2016, 00:12

Chris Bailey is on a distinguished road
Junkers 88C - Any ideas what these parts are?

Please accept my apologies if this is not the correct place to ask, but allow me to explain the context of my post. For many years i have been interested in a Junkers 88C that crashed in my home village in Lincolnshire in July 1941.

Recently i began explaining what had happened to my son about the plane that had crashed near his grandparents house. This sparked his interest and i headed to the loft to find the bits of metal that i had picked up from the site many years ago. My son was really excited and asked where they had come from on the plane, and it is here that my knowledge came to a grinding holt.

I know this is a needle in a haystack ask, as the bits are so small in comparison to the original plane, but there are some bits of original paint, so if anyone can suggest what or where on the plane these bits may have come from we would be very grateful, and thus allow my sons display to have some wording.

Any help very much appreciated
Old 5th January 2016, 01:08
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Junkers 88C - Any ideas what these parts are?

Impossible but I will be brief, these are fragments of tubing, engine(acessories) or block, some stuctural plate - impossible say from where without part numbers or larger components. The Ju 88 C was a large plane, grossing out over 10 tons fully loaded. Twenty meters across, larger than small house. Only the 1941 parts catalogue is 1.920 pages long, listing thousands of numbers for spares ordering. The parts all had numbers (usually) starting with 8-88.xxx..., R8-88.xxx... (airframe), 9-xxxx (engines) or similar. And there were hundreds of parts made by equal number of factories. Besides Junkers, there were Dornier Nord & Dornier Sud, Arado, Henschel, ATG, Heinkel, Siebel, Opel, Volkswagen, Fokker making larger parts. Smaller parts one can name Bosch, Continental Tyres, Varta ? battery manufacturer, Fuel tanks, Rubber, Tubing, Wires, Electrical Switches and Relays, Autopilot, Radios, Guns. Lorenz Beam recievers. Just trying make list be as impressive as possible. Did you know it had 24 Volt DC electrical system (lighter cables). One can with right say it was the best designed plane in the world at that time. It had all features modern warplanes had, except ejecton seats. And it was stretchable and was stretched.

Perhaps a lengthy answer, the short one is ... Not really possible, Sorry. I might be better at saying you what plane, serial, code & crew, if date or other info can be verified.

0880854 Ju 88 C-2 R4+LM 4./NJG 2 (Luftflotte 3)
OPS (F) missing (100%) unk location [possibly downed by another Luftwaffe night-fighter, at Bonby, Lincolnshire, Britain, in night of 23/24.07.1941] 24.07.1941 (F Obgefr. Heinrich Ladiges, BF Obgefr. Friedrich Heinemann and BM Fw. Josef Beblow mis/rep killed 05.09.41 and 06.09.41) [rep C2 854 R4+LM in LWFLV losses; fate from Michael Balss “Deutsche Nchtjagd”]

-Ed
Old 5th January 2016, 01:39

Ed
Many thanks. I knew that it was a long shot but always worth asking. I had no idea that we were talking a total weight of 10 tonnes. Two lorries (i recall reading years ago) took away the bulk of the wreckage, although a gun was recovered many years later and put on display in either Hemswell or Newark.
Any idea what archive to look in for further details on the crew, such as home towns, next of kin etc. They were originally buried at Kirton Lindsey but moved to Cannock Chase.
Many many thanks
Chris
Old 5th January 2016, 01:48
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

WASt (Germany) https://www.dd-wast.de/en/home.html
Possibly there exists the Personell Loss report (NVM) from 4./Nachtjagdgeschwader 2, or an other member here has these details. I fully expect someone else has this, I am more into the aircraft histories, not crew. Sorry -Ed
Old 5th January 2016, 02:23

chuckschmitz is on a distinguished road

Melvin Brownless on this forum might be of help on more crew information.

Chuck
Old 5th January 2016, 23:09

Ed and Chuck.
Many thanks for the additional info and suggestions.
Chris
Old 14th October 2018, 21:33

I know it's a few years since I posted on this plane but got the chance to walk the area this week and found a few bits of metal associated to the plane. Was very happy to find after cleaning that one part had a number on it. Clearly says 7 108 and then next bit is damaged but begins S 15** and above that S 2**. Still a long shot but is this bit identifiable please