Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th November 2018, 20:48

Maciej Góralczyk is on a distinguished road
German floatplane identification

Gentlemen,

Does anyone recognize this floatplane?

It shows some similarity to Heinkel HE 8, but the engine and prop are different, perhaps similar to HE 10, which, however, had a closed cockpit.
I'm aware of HE 31 existence, but I was unable to find any photo of it in my references. Any help is appreciated.
The photo itself was apparently made after August 1935 (there is another aircraft with five-character code present on it)

Kind regards,
Maciej
Old 30th November 2018, 22:11
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: German floatplane identification

Not 100% sure, but it does look like a HE 9

Which sub-type, however is impossible to say (for me)

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st December 2018, 00:47

Maciej Góralczyk is on a distinguished road

Thank you, that's a good idea. Perhaps this would be HE 9d, as it was powered by the same engine as HE 10, which was fitted with a 4-blade propeller.

Edit: seems that's it: http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...K7FuI91gK-tZ-w

Last edited by Maciej Góralczyk; 1st December 2018 at 02:08. Reason: Updated information
Old 1st December 2018, 12:03
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej Góralczyk View Post
Thank you, that's a good idea. Perhaps this would be HE 9d, as it was powered by the same engine as HE 10, which was fitted with a 4-blade propeller.

Edit: seems that's it: http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...K7FuI91gK-tZ-w
When I said I was not 100% certain it was because I cannot guarantee that any other similar looking Heinkel Eindekker also was converted with a BMW VI engine.

All HE 9 used that engine, so it is not possible by me to distinguish between various sub-types ot that power plant.

So I am 99% confident this is a HE 9 and since the d version was the most numerous (even the photo you refer to was initially a HE 9c model converted to a HE 9d), why not?

Cheers
Stig