Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th December 2017, 10:45

Tim O. is on a distinguished road
Help with Luftwaffe Terminology Please

Hi all

I am going through a Flugbuch to a Bf110 crewman from 6./ZG 1 and have encountered two entries I do not quite understand. If anyone can explain the meaning of these phrases I would be very grateful.

1. I think the first comment on the right relates to jettisoning bombs due to adverse weather but am I reading this word 'Schlachtwetter' correctly?

2. I think the third comment on the right reads 'Zwei Lanzer mitgenommen'. I think I can translate it literally but have no idea what it actually means!

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122
Old 13th December 2017, 11:08
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with Luftwaffe Terminology Please

Hello Tim O.

I am not a miltary pilot, rather an ex-civilian one and will try to put my own opinions here, not based on former Flugbuchs entries, etc. However, since each Flubuch was written by its owner and it seems there was NO special rule to restrain using the owner's own words and commentaries.
Here we go:
1-If the flight was carried out in winter time, in Russia, we can only guess the kind of weather this crewman had to fight or go through. With 2 bombs of 250Kg + a lot of fuel, and ammunition for the guns and machine guns (of a Bf 110 E, for example), the "Bird" would be almost "topped", I mean, very near the maximum take-off weight. If you add the acumulation of ice, flying through low and freezing clouds; this guy certainly had a real problem to fight with the controls and choose therefore to jettison the bombs and return back to base (or land on an alternative base). I remember Reading on Wilhelm Johnen book about a former Bf 110 night-fighter pilot who crashed just after take-off on a similar cold and winter night, when the full loaded night-fighter suffered from icing and lost control. Off course, the pilot may have had lost control (spatial disorientation) or another failure (of his artificial horizont, for instance). Another famous Bf 109 ace lost control, in late 1944, while flying through cloud and hit the deck. There are quite a large number of this kind of "fights with the Weather", and those who were (or are) Military and Civilian pilots here may have more comments and "lessons" from Mother Earth, just to remember us, how small we are...and how much we do must trust the instruments while flying on IMC and bad WX.
2- Google Translator gave me: 'Two lancers taken away' for this one. Well, ZG 1 flew, from memory some Bf 110 equipped with 37mm gun. This could be related to his machine being stripped out of one or two guns (do not know); or to the pilot being hit by Flak and loosing one or two antenas (FuG16?)? Do you have more on the second entry to enlight us? Was his machine hit? Maybe the crew HIT something on the ground...two tanks for example...hence the expression. "Two lancers taken away".

We must remember that each Flugbuch or RAF Logbook was signed by the Commanding Officer (of the Squadron) or Staffelkapitän and even Gruppenkommandeur, so if one wrote silly things, this should have been informed verbally (as far as I understand)!

Again, I do apologize for expressing my own opinions about the incredible work you are doing (and it looks very interesting to read in the futur). I passed throughout the same process Reading, re-reading and identifying the slang of a Brazilian born RFC and WW1 RAF pilot, Captain Gordon Fox Rule, DFC, CdG* on his 2 Army Books 425 (Pilot's Log Books). I can assure you, pilots do express their own vivid memories on those Logbooks/Flugbuchs in their own words...

I do owe you a Picture, which I will send as promissed. Sorry for the long delay.

Adriano B.
Old 13th December 2017, 11:39

Delmenhorst is on a distinguished road

Schlachtwetter - should probably be Schlechtwetter, which means bad weather

'Zwei Lanzer mitgenommen' - should probably be Lanser, which was a slang word for army soldiers.
Old 13th December 2017, 11:45

Thank you Adriano and Delmenhorst. Your help takes me another few steps forwards in untangling the Flugbuche of this airman.

Your input is very much appreciated.

Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122
Old 13th December 2017, 12:22

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

I think the correct term for the soldiers was Landser
Peter
Old 13th December 2017, 12:38

Delmenhorst is on a distinguished road

Landser - typo error from my side
Old 13th December 2017, 13:22

Thanks again everyone.