Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 3rd March 2017, 21:02
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Magyar Warriors. Volume 2: The History of the Royal Hungarian Armed Forces, 1919-1945 [off topic]

Scheduled for 3 May. This volume contains some details about the Hungarian Air Force.

https://www.amazon.com/Magyar-Warrio.../dp/1910777927

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 4th March 2017, 18:52
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Magyar Warriors. Volume 2: The History of the Royal Hungarian Armed Forces, 1919-1945 [off topic]

The book is actually out for a week now. I did not want to publish a notice until I have it in my hand, which unfortunately did not happen yet.
Indeed, the initial chapter (pages 17-185) is devoted to the Hungarian air force. It covers the topic from 1920 until 1945, in great details, illustrated by a couple of hundreds of photos. Extensive tables of German and Italian aircraft imports, as well as indigenous aircraft production, completes the topic. The top four aces are also covered, along with their achievements and complete 'kills' list.
I am looking forward to reading your impressions, when possible.

Last edited by Dénes Bernád; 21st January 2018 at 16:21.
Old 5th March 2017, 01:37
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Magyar Warriors. Volume 2: The History of the Royal Hungarian Armed Forces, 1919-1945 [off topic]

Dénes

To me it is an unfortunate way of publishing, since I would have preferred to have the various military branches published in separate books.

In vol 2 you cover the Air Force in some 169 pages. Can you in a few words describe why I should buy your book, when I have basically what you have written before (at least in English )

Cheers
Stig
Old 5th March 2017, 09:22
Alter Hase

Stig, the aim of this "trilogy" about the Royal Hungarian Armed Forces is to cover ALL aspects related to it, all branches, all periods of its 25-year-long existence, in English, so it would be accessible to anyone. I don't think nine thin book(let)s would have done justice to this vast topic. I would have preferred A4 size, for larger size photos, but the Publisher decided to go with the current format, in three volumes. I am very happy the fruit of over 20 years (perhaps 25 by now) of work has finally ripened.

As for the air force, there are indeed a couple of books in English that cover the topic, or a chapter of it (e.g., the Hikoki one, Punka's Osprey title about fighter aces, Bernád&Punka's 'Hungarian Fighter Colours', the bilingual 'The Wings of the Nation', etc.), but none of them is so comprehensive, go so deep, with so much details. Moreover, most of the 200+ photos and several comprehensive tables have not been published so far (not even in Hungary!). Personally, I am convinced no one, who has all these books, or all my titles, would be unsatisfied with the purchase of vol. 2 of 'Magyar Warriors'. If someone still is, I am ready to refund the money, at the purchased price.
Old 5th March 2017, 13:35
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Dénes

I also notice your book is far cheaper to buy on Amazon UK than USA.

I am right now reading Renner's book, which I find to be quite good since it gives a different aspect to the other books I have.

Cheers
Stig
Old 5th March 2017, 14:51
Alter Hase

I am also currently reading Stephen Renner's book and find it enlightening. I knew of the politics and high-stake manoeuvres in Horthy's and the Honvédség's inner circles, but it's still very nice to see it told in a comprehensive manner, in English.

My approach to the history of the Hungarian air force is more technical and focusing more on the details. That's why the two books are actually complementary - and I wrote this a week ago to the Author, who is currently deployed overseas. I highly recommend his book.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:48
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Maybe this might help a few ditherers to make up their minds!

http://www.naval-military-press.com/...1919-1945.html

Col.
Old 5th February 2018, 11:37
Alter Hase

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.