Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th July 2009, 14:59

POLSA230 is on a distinguished road
German POW Quest

I am researching the story of an allied Pilot who was subjected to investigation by the S.I.B. in 1945. A witness against him was listed as KRUMBIEGEL P.O.W. Clearly he was a German who provided some evidence, my quest is to see if any member has a listing of German pow's to see if the name appears. Sadly this is the only information I have, can anyone help please. Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
Old 29th July 2009, 15:14

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road
Re: German POW Quest

Hello Polsa,
Can you tell us the name and air force of the Allied pilot?

Bruce
Old 29th July 2009, 18:29

Bruce.

A slightly difficult area as he was a Polish pilot who has a surviving widow. This presents a reason to not publish those details which I am sure you can understand.
Old 29th July 2009, 19:12
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

In a data base of 30,000+ Luftwaffe officers, there is just one individual with this name:

KRUMBIEGEL, Rolf. (DOB: 02.01.14). 01.04.43 promo to Hptm. (Kr.O.).

Since you are unable to provide any more details, it is impossible to determine if this is the right fellow. However, it can be said that the name is not common, and that fact should facilitate your research.
Old 29th July 2009, 19:57

Larry.

A big thank you, indeed this looks to be 100% correct as I have just located a reference to the same name with first initial as 'R' as a witness against a Squadron Leader G R Carpenter within the same enquiry.

Would you know of any route I could to take to find any more information upon him at all.

Thank you very much for this help.
Old 29th July 2009, 20:38
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLSA230 View Post
Larry.
A big thank you, indeed this looks to be 100% correct as I have just located a reference to the same name with first initial as 'R' as a witness against a Squadron Leader G R Carpenter within the same enquiry.
Would you know of any route I could to take to find any more information upon him at all.
Thank you very much for this help.
Chances are excellent that BA-MA Freiburg will have his records. Getting to see them is another matter. You would have to prove to them that you are an author, or an academic doing research, or a genealogical investigator working for a family member, or some such reason like that. Generally speaking, they will not allow casual public researchers to see the records. You have to show good cause consistent with the German Privacy Law that was enacted in 1988 or so.
Old 29th July 2009, 23:04
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi.

I have a Krumbiegel, an Unteroffizier with the NJG 4, listed as MIA in December 1944.

Possibly ended up as a POW, not sure, but could be another possibility.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 30th July 2009, 00:24

Andreas.

Thank you, however as this person was a pow to the allies in 1945 and used as a witness for the prosecution. I am sure the previously mentioned man is the one concerned.

This is a very interesting subject, thanks for your thoughts.
Old 30th July 2009, 19:07

KRUMBIEGEL, Rolf. (DOB: 02.01.14). 01.04.43 promo to Hptm. (Kr.O.).

Larry. Can you help me with the (Kr.O.) reference at all. I am having trouble in relating to its meaning. THANK YOU.
Old 31st July 2009, 00:20
Alter Hase

"Kr.O." = Kriegsoffizier.

Kriegsoffiziere (Kr.O.): Temporary Officers; ex-professional NCOs who were given temporary officer rank at the beginning of the war. The category was made permanent in 1942. From 1942 on to the end of the war, many NCOs and others were given temporary wartime commissions to the ranks of Leutnant, Oberleutnant and Hauptmann.