Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th March 2018, 12:50

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Richard Heller 8./ZG26 Me110E codes

Information from Kracker and the internet suggest Heller flew at least 2 Me110E's with this unit in Nth Africa in 1941/42 - WNr4431 and maybe WNr4336.
Can anyone tell me if this is right, and what the aircraft codes were? I would imagine 3U+?S.
Thanks
Peter
Old 27th March 2018, 21:20

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough
Re: Richard Heller 8./ZG26 Me110E codes

By checking the index of A History of the Mediterranean Air War Vol 1 by Shores et al and following up each entry where Heller is mentioned, we can find the following details of Me 110s of his unit

W.Nr. 3886 was ditched by Wehmeyer on 18 February 1941 (this was the engagement in which Wehmeyer and Heller shot down Gatward and Perrin of 3 sqn RAAF).

W.Nr. 3919 was lost on 19 August 41. Crew of Plumek KIA, Weist WIA
W.Nr. 3453/3U+AS same date. Crew of Werner safe, Schmidt KIA

On 24 November 41, the following losses:
W.Nr. 3410 of Gassner and Reddig both POW
3326 of Koller and Luckmann also both POW
W.Nr. not specified of RICHARD HELLER WIA, Muehlbrodt safe

Not the greatest of help, but perhaps it pulls some of the haystack away from the needle you are searching for....
Old 28th March 2018, 07:49

Some of that I have already seen, thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't help.
The best I have within my means is a post on a gaming forum that WNr4436 3U+OS was his "regular mount" until the new GrKdr Steinberger was lost without trace in it on 24/12/41, and the Kracker database lists WNr4431 as one he flew.
Peter
Old 28th March 2018, 09:16

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

No worries.

At least you have had the chance of two good solid lines of inquiry viewed and checked regarding Heller

Now, regarding Steinberger, AHOTMAW vol 1 confirms that he was indeed lost off Crete on the date you gave.

HOWEVER:

No Werknummer is given for the aircraft, whereas in as many cases as is possible, this detail is usually given. So, pending better substantiation, I would respectfully advise "Caveat Emptor" on the Werknummer and Fuselage Codes 4336/3U + OS. Volume 4 of the series is due for release later this year, and is expected to include an Errata/Addendum for the earlier volumes. That might give you a chance to substantiate some details, including those ones
Old 28th March 2018, 09:26
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

1941-12-24, 9./ZG 26, Bf 110 E-2, 4436, 3U+OS, Nördlich Kreta
Flugzeugführer Fw Hohmann, Max, +
Flugzeugführer (Staffelkapitän) Hptm Steinberger, Thomas-Fritz, +
Bordfunker Uffz Müller, Herbert, +
Unbekannt. Bruch 100 %. Start 14.00. Not operational flight.

Matti
Old 28th March 2018, 11:43

Bingo!
Nice work, Matti!
Old 28th March 2018, 12:49

Thanks Matti!
Thanks Nick. If I thought the info I had was from a reliable source, I probably would have skipped trying to get confirmation. The gaming forums can be very hit and miss, but given the rest of the info they provided was correct, I'll accept their claim that WNr4436 was Heller's a/c.
The Squadron/Signal and Osprey books and internet were all else I had to go on, and I couldn't see anything there.
Matti, According to the Air Units info at ww2.dk, Steinberger was Kdr III./ZG26 at the time, not a Staka.
Thanks guys
Peter
Old 28th March 2018, 13:23

So...

If it's OK to ask, what is your project, Peter?
Are you compiling a Radio Codes or Werknummer Compendium? Matching such to famous aces?
Old 28th March 2018, 14:22
Alter Hase

byron- is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Staka of Staffel 9 at that time was Hauptmann Roland Bohrt

Byron
Old 28th March 2018, 15:37

Nick, probably unlike most members of this forum, I am more into model building than nth degree detail history. My spend is mostly on plastic and resin, not paper.
I won't go into the boring detail of how I select my subjects - suffice to say they are very many and must have some significance.
While I do have a reasonable collection of books, some of them have apparently now been debunked, and my main interest precludes me from buying the more often than not expensive tomes which may or may not have the answers to my usually simple questions. I am left with what is available to me.
So you are right - I don't have the knowledge or resources many of you on this forum have, but that's the whole point. I ask questions in the hope that someone will be kind enough to put in the time to provide the answer if it is known. There's no demand or requirement for anyone to respond.
And I certainly don't expect to be attacked because of my lack of knowledge. To assume all members of this forum operate at the same level is probably unrealistic.
Peter